Grand vs Cherokee

rondo

I currently have a '99 Cherokee, and I'm looking at getting another Jeep also. It's going to be probably a '92 to '95 and I've been looking at Grand Cherokees. What's the general opinion on them, reliability, etc. and how about comparisons between the V-8 and the I-6. I want to explore most options and I'd like any opinions on Cherokee vs Grand Cherokee in those same years. It's pretty certain that I'll get another Jeep, I just would like to know, basically, how the two models shake out compared to each other. Good points and bad points. Any help would be appreciated.

[addsig]

I've had an xj and just bought a '95 zj. I added a limited slip to the xj and with Mud Rovers it went great ofroad. In fact, I would put it up against my Discovery. However, with the open diffs, it wasn't a top performer. My zj has not been offroad yet, but the V8 is an extremely strong performer. Also, the ride is superior to the Cherokee in stock form. Finally, the zj is a LOT more comfortable than the xj was. At this point I'm trying to decide whether to sell the Discovery and build the zj or keep the Disco and let my wife drive the zj. She's taken it over already and it might be tough to get her out of it. The Disco has 3" of lift and Mud Rovers, so its not quite stock.[addsig]

cherokee has rear leaf springs, grand cherokee has coils.

grand cherokee has the body paneling (for protection from soccer balls and shopping karts)
image-missing.png
lol j/k...

grand cherokee is a little taller out of the box and has more comfort features.[addsig]

When the first downed size Cherokees (XJ) came out, the old time Jeepers about turned purple. But over the years the plarform has turned out to be pretty good and sure has lasted a long time. I´ve got a 4.0 HO and really couldn´t see why I´d need more umph from the V-8. Jeep made a couple of improvements, that wern´t, over the years. And have changed concessionaires on occasion and bought thenselves a little trouble. But heck every model has a few bugs.

Would be nice to have two vehicles with some interchangable parts.

[addsig]

Back