high idle/o2 sensor

skullfisher

89 jeep cherokee was idling higharound 3500rpm. I replaced the IAC and it still went high, then i replaced the TPS and it works fine. When starting it idles at 1000rpm then slowly warms to 1500rpm and tops out at just under 2000rpm. I have checked for vacuum leaks and found none.So i changed the O2 sensor and now everytime when it starts and warms up it almost stalls 4 times, than runs fine at just under 2000rpm. Sounds like maybe the ECM isn't picking it up. How can i reset the ecm so it picks it up? i unplugged battery and had no luck. sure could use some help on this one. thanks in advance.

The battery disconnect should reset the ECM. Recheck the TPS and make sure its clocked on a full counter clockwise position. Although most of them are not adjustable, the TPS has a minute movement on its mounting hole and it's enough to make a difference on your idle situation. Disconnect the battery for 5 mins.. Reconnnect, then with the key on engine off, slowly step on the gas pedal all the way up to a wide open throttle then slowly release. Do this 2 times, then turn the key off then start the engine. If the high idle still exist, there has to be a small vacuum leak on the manifold or one of the lines hooked up to it.

Back