Help 94 cherokee won't start

woj1476

My 94 cherokee has sat for about 1.5 years. I have decided to get it back into working order, anyway when I turn the key all I get is the fuel pump hum and some clicking, if I go under the hood and jump the starter, the engine turns but wont start. I have replaced the alternator [i knew it was bad] I put new rotor, cap, and plugs. I also have had the starter tested and that is fine. I also put i a ew battery. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!! Just a note I put on a new fuel filter also.

update the engine is a straight six 4.0 any help would be great!!!!1

thank you for the ideas, I should have said in the first post that I drained and filled the gas tank. I am also getting spark. I battery conections are new. I am going to check the fuses. Any other ideas please list them.

Thanks again!!!

After you check the fuses as recomended by Bounty_Hunter, if they check out good. Spray 2 squirts of starting fluid in the throttle body and try to start it.

Also try giving it a bit of gas when cranking. Not supposed to be necessary on a FI engine but it has worked for me in the past with a hard-start issue.

update Checked fuses all good sprayed starting fluid jeep started and died after 10 sec. Anymore ideas?

You have just verified that you have spark, but no fuel. Check the fuel pressure or you can keep trying to start it with the starting fluid and see if the injectors opens up.

just to make sure I know what your talking about, on the fuel rail there is a cap w/a air inlet thats where I would hook up correct. I know if I push it in gas comes flying out.

That is correct. That fuel rail may hold up to 50PSI. Use a towel to place over your hand and over the fuel rail when you install the fuel pressure tester. If you have an eye protection, Use it.

Test the fuel pressure two ways, once with the vacuum line connected to the fuel pressure regulator, and once with it disconnected at the FPR.

My friend is having the same problem....she said she was told that it was the crankshaft sensor?
Is there such a sensor?

just got this off of WikiAnswers: How do know if you need to replace a crankshaft position sensor?

Answer: If the car doesn't start, but the belts are good, the fuel system is good, the ignition is good, everything is good, but you don't know whats wrong, then its the sensor lol

1987...it cost 40-50 bucks for a replacement sensor.

Back