Rear Passenger window

brodger

Hello,

I am again experiencing problems with my vehicles windows. Before I had had a problem with the window , interior lighting and so on. Turned out to be the wiring in the driver door that was broken.

This time though my daughter pushed the button on the rear right window. It went down but it won't go up. All other windows function and the window will still power down but nothing up. I don't want to let it go all the way down just in case.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem ? I read that it may be a small plastic clip on the regulator is this possible

Thanks

Bane \

If i understand this correctly, your saying that ALL the windows are not going up but the down position is ok? or is it just the passenger rear that's failing?. The possibilities are the Master switch, passenger switch or wiring. If the motor is functioning properly but the glass is non-responsive to the regulator, then it would be a mechanical issue since you mentioned something about a plastic clip on the regulator.

Maybe check the ground. I have a 1988 cherokee and my two rear windows were always really slow in going back up, sometimes they wouldn't go back for a couple days. Someone told me once that I should fix the ground wires. Checked em all and redid them and everything started working right again. Maybe this is your problem?

Start with the switch-If you have power to go down then you have power and a ground. Check to see if the power is coming out of the switch when you try to go up. Most likely the switch.
If you have a broken regulator clip you most likely will have no window movement in either direction.

Hi,
This is Jon in Tucson. You will quickly realize that this is both my first foray into power window repair as well "chat rooms?" or "open forums?" (I don't know what they are called today.)

I did not see where to post new questions, but this thread seems to be a similar problem. I hope folks are still here.

My wife's 2004 Liberty rear power driver side window was making a honking or groaning sound going up and down. Two days ago, it went down and did not come back up. The motor grunts going both directions. I manually pulled the window up thinking the motor would "catch up" but with the window in the up postition the motor still only grunts both directions. I was thinking a track or mechanism needed more grease, and now I have the door panel off but have no idea how the window moves up and down; therefore I don't know what to grease. Also, reading other posts regarding this situation, the problem sounds like it could be the "regulator clip." (I have no idea what that is either.) Any suggestions or location of a diagram of the mechanism would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Jon in Tucson

Last edited:
Hi,
This is Jon in Tucson. You will quickly realize that this is both my first foray into power window repair as well "chat rooms?" or "open forums?" (I don't know what they are called today.)

I did not see where to post new questions, but this thread seems to be a similar problem. I hope folks are still here.

My wife's 2004 Liberty rear power driver side window was making a honking or groaning sound going up and down. Two days ago, it went down and did not come back up. The motor grunts going both directions. I manually pulled the window up thinking the motor would "catch up" but with the window in the up postition the motor still only grunts both directions. I was thinking a track or mechanism needed more grease, and now I have the door panel off but have no idea how the window moves up and down; therefore I don't know what to grease. Also, reading other posts regarding this situation, the problem sounds like it could be the "regulator clip." (I have no idea what that is either.) Any suggestions or location of a diagram of the mechanism would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Jon in Tucson

Yes we are still here. Always here. Welcome to Jeepz.com. On the Technical forums page, you will find the category for your Jeep, KJ Liberty. Open a new thread and post.
Unfortunately, the symptoms you've described is a faulty window regulator/motor assembly. The regulator is a cable actuated sytem driven by a motor. There is no fix to this other than replacing it. There has been a revision on the design of the regulator assembly. The old syle has a glass holder with one pop in plastic clip. The new style is a pin retainer mounted on the glass and inserts into the regulator bracket. IF you have the old style and a dealer can no longer aquire that same unit replacement, the glass and regulator would have to be replaced at the same time to correct this issue.
REMOVAL

1. Remove the waterdam. Raise the glass and line up the lift plate clip with the hole in the door panel shown.
  2. Using a long flat blade or hook type tool, disengage the clip attaching glass retainer to regulator lift plate.
  3. Disconnect the glass from the regulator lift plate and re-install the clip.
  4. Secure the glass in the up position using a wood wedge, tape or equivalent.
  5. Remove the bolts.
  6. Disconnect the runout tube clip and remove the regulator.
  7. Disconnect the electrical connector

Attachments

• KJ 04 regulator.gif
    KJ 04 regulator.gif
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,394
Last edited:
If i understand this correctly, your saying that ALL the windows are not going up but the down position is ok? or is it just the passenger rear that's failing?. The possibilities are the Master switch, passenger switch or wiring. If the motor is functioning properly but the glass is non-responsive to the regulator, then it would be a mechanical issue since you mentioned something about a plastic clip on the regulator.

No. Just the rear right window. It has power to go down but it will not go up. Can you take the switch out by itself on the door or do I have to remove the entire door panel ??

No. Just the rear right window. It has power to go down but it will not go up. Can you take the switch out by itself on the door or do I have to remove the entire door panel ??
I dont remember how it's attached to the door panel. If it dont pry off then remove the door panel.

Back