the thing below the tire/wheel, but above the breaks - what is it called?

onetwo

The thing that has red pencil all over it, what is it called? and about how much would it be to get a new/used (used if I can find) one? My tire/wheel fell off today while I was driving, and mine is bent now, or at least I think/hope it is.

98 jeep (regular) cherokee limited.

Attachments

• good.jpg
    good.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 284

Brake Drum..With red pencil all over it.:D make sure your hub is not bent also.

Brake Drum..With red pencil all over it.:D make sure your hub is not bent also.

hub? I am guessing that is the thing in the middle? If it is, that is what I said that I "hope" that it is the break drum that is bent, not the thing in the middle :)

Yup! you are correct. That center piece where the wheel studs are attached to is the hub and the big piece of steel that the brakes grabs on to is the brake drum. One quick way to check for a bent axle hub/flange without using a dial caliper is to get a straight edged piece of metal or wood and keep it stationary on the ground and get the straight edge surface as close as you can on the face of the flange without it touching each other. Spin the axle shaft with your hand while looking at the surface of both the flange and the straight edge. If the hub is bent, you will notice it's surface varying distance from the straight edge as you spin the axle.

I got a new brake drum at advance auto parts for $39.21, put it on and it fits perfectly, so I think it's fine. But just in case I'll do what you said tomorrow as it's dark out now.

:pray: thanks again!

You could just mount the drum and wheel to see if it wobbles or if the brake rubs. You can do that without the machine shop tool. You have a new drum so it should be true and unwarped and any irregularity would be an axel hub that is bent. It looks like you have a one piece axel shaft so you may have to replace the shaft. Get a salvaged one to save money. I think I just tossed a pair that came off an abandoned Cherokee. Junk parts can save money and time. Remember to get the bearing race with it so you dont have to buy a new wheel bearing. I have mixed and matched races before but usually break things off road before bearing wear is an issue.

My 87 jeep cherokee has a bad habit of the left front wheel working loose about every 6 months or so. Can find nothing wrong but the lugs loosen off. Check them from time to time

Its not that big of a deal. When I service now I just take a clicker wrench and go over them. But that one wheel will always be just a little loose.

Back