Newbie XJ drive shaft question

dirtster

I looked on the site for the answer to this question and it is probably in the archives somewhere, then I got lazy and decided to ask anew:

If I install a 2" or 3" lift kit on a '95 XJ, do I need to modify the driveshaft to accommodate the lift? Are there any other considerations for a lift of this sort?

Welcome to the Z.

You shouldn't need any driveshaft mods with that little of a lift. You also shouldn't need anything that isn't already included in most kits of that height.

Well I spent some time writing a brilliant response but since I am not as brilliant as the response, I accidentally deleted it. I have had a couple of xj's with lifts and you will have absolutely no trouble with your driveshafts at that height.

If it is an automatic and you want to, look for a standard transmission driveshaft since they are slightly longer. Not much but it may help.

I have run a stock shaft with as much as 6.5 inches of lift although I would not recommend it if you plan to offroad your vehicle which I did.

The slip yoke can easily accommodate 3" of lift even under wheeling conditions, you may encounter other limiting factors long before the driveshaft is an issue! For example tire size or fender clearance.

Just my 2 cents!

Good luck!

i ran a stock driveshaft with nine inches of lift for about a month till my slip yoke eliminator came and my new custom driveshaft. but for anything under 4.5 inches you will be fine. you may have install a 1" transfer case drop but thats all.

Back