p1775 Solenoid switch & p0456 EVAP leak problems

theabacus

I own a 2005 Jeep Liberty Sport. Recently, I have been getting a check engine light caused by two different errors:

1) P1775 Solenoid switch valve latched in TCC position
2) P0456 EVAP Emission Control System Leak Very Small

I cannot find very much information about the first problem. I have searched online and through a repair manual, to find very little information. What is the typical cause of this problem? What solenoid is it referring to?

I have done some research on the second problem. The most common cause seems to be the gas cap, which I replaced; problem still remained. Next, I noticed that the purge control solenoid was upside down (it was in an accident previous to my ownership), so I rotated that to the proper position; problem still remained. Any trouble shooting suggestions?

I have not noticed any driving or shifting problems with my vehicle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(P1776 or P1775) - If you have a P1776 (Solenoid Switch Valve Latched in LR Position) DTC, first check the "TRS Code" portion of the the event data. If this reads "TR2", this indicates that the manual valve was not fully in the OD position at the time the DTC was set. This is the cause of the code. Check the shift cable adjustment and adjust if necessary. Also check the shift control system for excessive friction and/or routing issues. If the "TRS Code" reads "OD", then read the following information. DO NOT replace the solenoid assy due to a P1775 (Solenoid Switch Valve Latched in TCC Position) and/or a P1776 code. The "Solenoid Switch Valve" is not in the solenoid, it is in the valve body. If the "TRS Code" reads "OD", then a sticking Solenoid Switch Valve is the primary cause of these codes. Perform the proper diagnostics relative to the valve body, inspect for foreign material in the solenoid switch valve AND plugs.
If that purge control solenoid control valve have been mounted upside down for awhile, chances are a debris is already stuck on the face of the valve and will keep it from sealing properly when the LDP is actively performing a leak test. I'm not saying that the PCSV will fix the leak but it will certainly make it more difficult to diagnose the issue if there is one after replacing this valve.

Thank you for the very prompt and detailed reply.

My vehicle does not have the P1776 error, only the P1775.

"If the TRS code reads OD..." How do I get the TRS code? I do own system to read the errors myself on the vehicle and have not seen any TRS codes what-so-ever.

I'm not familiar with the generic scantools if they can monitor the TRS(Transmission range sensor). The DRBIII Chrysler scantool has that capability and can verify other components that may contribute to this concern.

P1775 on my 2006 Jeep Wrangler, 4L, automatic, 125k, but I am getting no other symptoms(shifting problems etc) and I have driven for 250 miles. The check engine light went off for about 100 miles on its own then came back. About 500 miles ago I had to reconnect the shifting cable to the transmission after it came loose.... Any tips?, Thanks, Dave

Back