Rear Diff locked !!

timtap

I have noticed the rear wheels seem to be diff locked on my Cherokee Laredo and before I crawl under the thing does anyone have any ideas as to possible cause please ?

Why do they seem to be locked? In what situations are you noticing this? What are the symptoms?

What year, make and model?

It's a Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 L 1997

Going around corners the tyres the tyres really grab and jump at the back so I'm assuming the diff is locked somehow.

If you have a Trac-lok rear differential, service the differential first and dont forget to add the friction modifier. drive it for at least 10 miles then re-check for the tire hopping on turns. If it changed characteristics for the better, drive it some more to get the friction modifier to completely get in the track-lok disc and eliminate the issue. IF there's no change, remove the differential cover and inspect the differential components for binding and isolate the concern.

Could also be a problem with the full-time transfer case if that's what your Grand is equipped with.

This has a quadra trak system !!!

I have a deep dislike of getting under the car whilst the weather is really awfull in the UK just now so I'll gather up as much info from you experts and then rip the thing to bits if necessary in a week or two. ( My Idea of Hell on Wheels !! )

Last edited:
Fixed !!!! Considering there is a so-called credit crunch I could'nt find a single garage to take the job on so I ended up having a go myself
After 8 hours , miserable weather and £200 in parts I finally got it sorted.

Here was the problem !
Gears002-1.jpg

Gears001-1.jpg

That's great!! problem solved. I hope you cleaned the carrier bearings well and all of the other components that was re-used, otherwise the new set of spider gears and possibly the ring and pinion will be short lived.

Thanks for that !

All cleaned and all the swarf removed . I see that the failure seems to be down to a casting problem though . Metalurgically Speaking !!

Back