1997 jeep Gran Cherekee limited 5.2V8

joerope

I thought I had got the best deal ever, I brought this jeep at a auction for 1.200.00 and costs(auction fee,s ect)beautiful for a late 97(may 97)creame with peanut butter interia everthing works inside and out ,and i thought I had legally stole one from the auction!started and ran smothley up until I tried to sock it to see what it had,when i got to around 45MPH I could feel it slowing down and it was trying to shif into another gear?I thought it may have been trying to go to 4Wheel drive(didn,t know that it ,s always in 4wd) and it dosn,t seem able to stay outta the GAS STATION! am I haveing trans troubles or What? seems that if I stay below 35MPH it rolls right along without the clunking

Is the "Clunking" coming from the drivetrain or engine?, Does the engine temperature have any relevance to the symptom?,SES lamp on?..

thank you for the response. The clunking is comeing from the drive train ! the temperture gauge is constance at 220 or so at the oil level is also OK,the thump thump thump sounds when I take my foot off the gas pedal.. should the 4Wheel drive shifter position always be in the all the time? ,no warning lights are on!

not according to the gauge.I will have to look under the hood later when I go out to see if I can detect eny signs......I am not sure I am explaning my symptons corectly!the clunking begins after I am going 40 to 50 miles per hour and take my foot off the pedal ,it appears that the vehicle is trying to downshift and slowsdown dramactily and clucks to a stop .

Last edited:
Ok! Now i know a little more about my problem, I have been advised it is the transfer case probaly that,s causeing my clunking problem Can I disable that ? since I do not plan to drive it enywhere but around the city....

or is it a easy repair that I can do myself?

(3) canI be directed to a link that will show/advise me of such a proceedure?

Back