96 Cherokee GL noise problem & A/C ?

96CherokeeGL

Hi All ~

Nice to have found your forum.
I have a 96 Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 4X with about 93K original miles, have owned it for about 5 years, 64K at time of purchase. I do try to keep up with service maintenance.
My problems are: Increasing noise with speed. I suspect this has something to do with the transfer case. Can I simply have it serviced & hopefully solve my noise problem? Without looking through service papers, if I ever had this done, it was at about 70K miles. Should I consider other servicing at the same time?

Also, I have experienced a continued problem with the a/c overflow tube. Have had it cleaned out 3-4 times, but darned thing still wants to puddle the overflow in the passenger floorboard. What else should be looked at?

Thanks for recommendations.

Try servicing the T.case first and see if that makes a difference. check your U-joints and wheel bearings. I would recommend that the front and rear axles to be serviced as well if it hasn't been done . There's a possibility as well that the noise your hearing in the t.case is the coupler. in this case an overhaul may be required. Bounty_Hunter is most knowlegeable in this topic. As for the A/C issue, i'm thinking that your reffering to the a/c condensation drain tube?, having it cleaned is one thing, however there is a completely different issue with the condensation coming into the passenger compartment floor board. The problem is that overtime, the seal between the firewall and the HVAC housing becomes compressed and looses its ability to prevent water intrusions thru the firewall a/c drain tube. By using the a/c, the accumulated condensation seeps into the gap on that seal. The remedy is simple. Buy a "Flowable sealer" made by Permatex. Use a compressed air to dry out the seal area thoroughly. after the area is completely dry, cut a small hole on the sealer tube applicator and inject it between the seal and the firewall and seal to hvac housing. let it set for at least 2 hrs. to ensure that the sealer has bonded.

Back