'01 Cherokee electrical issue

gepetto5

I was hoping somebody here could help me shed some light on an issue I just started having. Recently when I go to start up my Cherokee, occasionally the Airbag light will stay on, and the Check Engine light will come on, as well as all the gauges on my dash going dead, and where the odometer is reading "no bus." Most of the time it will correct itself while I'm driving. Other times just my speedometer and tachometer will go dead while I'm driving, but will also self correct after a short period of time. I was hoping someone could provide me some guidance. I really don't want to take this to a mechanic unless I have to, and if I do, I'd like to have an idea what's wrong before I go.

check with the dealer. there's a recall for this problem. I believe Recall ID# 38228

The most likely cause of your bus corruption is GROUND 101 (located on the side of the block). G101 is the ground for the PCM and the TCM. We have had a good number of reports where this ground is loose and will cause some odd ccd bus characteristics, even though in theory it does not make much sense, if the odometer reads NO BUS, the you would assume all the gauges should drop out, this is not the case for G101.

Back