Won't start at the pump

bugslinger

Hey all

I just bought a 92 XJ sport, my first Jeep, and she's in really great shape, 100k miles. The only problem I have had occured just two days ago at the gas pump. I filled her up and when I went to start her she wouldn't turn over completely. She tried several times before she make it. Now the guy I bought it off of said that it happened to him once before but that he had a buddy fix it and couldn't tell me exactly what his friend did. I'm not mechanically inclined, so I though I'd ask the more knowledgeable. Any thoughts?

Battery maybe? or a bad connection in the starting system. Check the positive and negative connections.

Roger that on the connections. It can't be the battery, its almost new and everything is fine as far as that is concerned. The only time it happened with the last owner was after he pumped gas, but it only happened once or so he said. Its only happened once to me, I just wanted to know if it is something major. Thanks for the help.

I had this happen every now and then when I pumped gas and it ended up being my neutral safety switch starting to go bad. When you turn it over does the starter engage like it wants to start or does everything come on like normal it just doesn't start? Mine would do everything but kick that starter on, lights, door buzzer, radio, etc all functioned fine and bright (how I ruled out that it wasn't the battery). If yours cranks but just doesn't want to start on the first try then it's definitely not the safety switch, rip your starter off and get it tested. Could be the beginnings of a bad solenoid.

That is exactly what happened. Everything kicked on but the motor wouldn't engage. I'll definetely check that out. Thanks a lot jeepmaster.

next time put in neutral and see if it starts bet the cps crank position sensor
is going out

She seems to be fine now. She starts but there are times when you think she won't, like it takes just a little longer than normal to turn over. I think my starter is going bad and just needs to be replaced. I have a buddy that works on Jeeps in his spare time that said he would help me out. Thanks for the advice guys!

Roger that on the connections. It can't be the battery, its almost new and everything is fine as far as that is concerned. The only time it happened with the last owner was after he pumped gas, but it only happened once or so he said. Its only happened once to me, I just wanted to know if it is something major. Thanks for the help.

Brand new battery doesn't mean it won't die from a bad alternator though. Also like steeheadz said check all your wiring in relation to the starting system. Pull all your grounds off, clean them, and check for any other damage. A wire might look like it's making a good connection, but corrosion and other crap might not be letting enough of that electricity stuff flow through there.

Back