Jeep Heater On The Fritz

jeepmaster

So this past winter whenever I'd turn my heat on the vents would howl and shriek like someone was getting chopped up under the hood. After a few seconds it would stop or if I switched the fan speed it would stop howling. Around this point I also noticed that the air was only coming out of the windshield vents. All other vents have ceased to function. Also the fan speed must be on high to even notice any air coming from the functioning windshield vents. Luckily Colorado is cool enough in the summer that I don't use the AC at all however I'd like to tackle this problem before winter hits again as I'd like to have heat. I'm tired of having frozen feet and snow on my floor mats all winter because there's no heat down there to melt it off!

I feel like it might be the fan motor if there is such a thing. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Today I'm wiring a push button start to bypass my neutral safety switch as I get tired of re-building it every 6-12 months to keep my Jeep starting. Time to get wrenching!

I've got a similar problem with my 2000 Cherokee. Switch only works when turned to "4" and I get nothing from any other setting. I do continue to get air out of all right vents depending on what setting the vent switch is at

I've got a similar problem with my 2000 Cherokee. Switch only works when turned to "4" and I get nothing from any other setting. I do continue to get air out of all right vents depending on what setting the vent switch is at
Sounds like the blower resistor has failed.

So this past winter whenever I'd turn my heat on the vents would howl and shriek like someone was getting chopped up under the hood. After a few seconds it would stop or if I switched the fan speed it would stop howling. Around this point I also noticed that the air was only coming out of the windshield vents. All other vents have ceased to function. Also the fan speed must be on high to even notice any air coming from the functioning windshield vents. Luckily Colorado is cool enough in the summer that I don't use the AC at all however I'd like to tackle this problem before winter hits again as I'd like to have heat. I'm tired of having frozen feet and snow on my floor mats all winter because there's no heat down there to melt it off!

I feel like it might be the fan motor if there is such a thing. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Today I'm wiring a push button start to bypass my neutral safety switch as I get tired of re-building it every 6-12 months to keep my Jeep starting. Time to get wrenching!

The high pitch noise on the blower could be the bearing on the unit itself. The Noise like something getting chopped up may very well be a debris in the squirrel cage(Fan blade) in the unit. Remove the blower motor and inspect it.

you know that little black tub sticking out the back of blower motor ? pull it off spray a little w-d40 into it put back together run fan should lube it right up with no more whining/squeal quick fix not costing you a little more than a few cents to correct if you catch it before it seizes moister some how got on shaft causing it to rust the motor shaft , I do this religiously once a month motor was never quieter than it is now

Back