1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee dies in reverse

trxus

I have a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee that had a bad transmission. Its a 4wd, 4.0 liter, automatic, 42RE. Swapped in a trans from a 95, "supposed" to be good. It runs great in every position except reverse. Tried swapping P/N/R switch. Tried unplugging solenoid case connector. Just gave it tune up; plugs, cap, rotor, air filter. Has new filter and fluid in trans. When put in reverse, it runs like crap and dies. If I give it enough gas I can keep it running and it moves in reverse, but still runs bad. In drive it idles and runs great and it will even downshift fine. Does the same with previous PCM and the current one. Would changing the valvebody do any good or should I go hunting for another transmission?

I have a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee that had a bad transmission. Its a 4wd, 4.0 liter, automatic, 42RE. Swapped in a trans from a 95, "supposed" to be good. It runs great in every position except reverse. Tried swapping P/N/R switch. Tried unplugging solenoid case connector. Just gave it tune up; plugs, cap, rotor, air filter. Has new filter and fluid in trans. When put in reverse, it runs like crap and dies. If I give it enough gas I can keep it running and it moves in reverse, but still runs bad. In drive it idles and runs great and it will even downshift fine. Does the same with previous PCM and the current one. Would changing the valvebody do any good or should I go hunting for another transmission?

Trxus:
Is it "binding" up, as in the innards of the transmission not turning when shifted into reverse? Will it run if you leave your foot on the accellerator while you shift into reverse? I wonder if there is something wrong with the valve body in the new transmission. Did you speak to the party you purchased it from about this?

Kevin

Well, talked to 2nd Chrysler dealership today and that goes nowhere, might as well saved my time. Talked to a good transmission shop and they said most likely worn manual valve in the valve body. With it being worn it allows fluid by thus not creating enuf pressure to release front clutch. They say it happens alot and its a pretty simple fix. Going to swap in other valvebody and if that isnt good, they said its about a 10 minute fix to install new valve. hopefully get valvebody swapped tomorrow and works like magic

Sweet! Glad to hear that you found what appears to be an honest transmission shop. Not too many of those exist (that I've found, anyway) here in Phoenix, LOL.

Make sure to post up what the resolve was so that we (and for archive purposes) know what you found out.

Thanks,
Kevin

The trans shop(goerend) is real good one, plus its pretty close, had a ford C6 done there before. Well swapped the valve body with original trans that also had issues, what a pain that is. Put fluid in it, fired it up then backed down the driveway. Took a bit to get going in forward. Filled it with fluid, little over a quart to top it off. Put it in reverse, died again, ughhh. Figured to heck with it, tired of messing around with this trans. Went to drive it on the ramps, can only get part way up then drive goes out(part of the original trans problem). This trans is coming out after the weekend and going back! Hopefully next one is better.

Found a transmission with 122k on it, got it installed and it passed the test drive last night. Finally a good one, course it was starting to get pretty easy to install it by now.

You could have had the valvebody reworked. The 42RE causes problems due to the gallery getting clogged up.

Yeah, I could have. At the trans shop it was almost $100 to have the 2 new valves put in. I seen some reman valvebodies for about 140-190. Thought about it, but it is a pain in the butt to swap the valve body from underneath. Between trying to get the park rod lined up, the electrical connector and shifter shaft lined up to their holes and to hold the accumulator piston in place, there was a bit of swearing involved. Then if that all worked, I still had a trans with 188k on it, with no idea how it was driven and if the fluid was ever changed. I ended up paying almost $100-200 more not to deal with the valvebody again and have a trans with 66k less miles.

Back