1987 Grand Wagoneer

sworddylan

Hello, I have a couple of questions for you. I have a 87 grand wagoneer.
1. When starting it crankes alot before it catches., runs fime once sarted. Why?
2. When driving, it dosent seem to shift into high gear, id say 2500 rpms at 45mph. Filter, kick down linkage? Thanks

On a stock carburator, after sitting overnight, it's common that the prime on the carburator to take a little while to fill the lines. The carburator float bowl is responsible for storing fuel that is needed to prime the combustion during startup, pump once or twice then crank and it should start. If it takes too long before it starts, i would think that you would probbably need to rebuild your carburator and give it a good tune-up. As for the Trans. shifting issue, if you haven't given it a fluid and filter change for awhile, i'd start there. If the issue still exist, then adjust the cable(kickdown or TV cable).

I know how a carb works. I should have been more detailed. It dosent want to start every time. Not just in the mournings. All day. Also, it kinda has a chug to it. I did new plugs, wires, etc. not a carb kit though.

Hello, I have a couple of questions for you. I have a 87 grand wagoneer.
1. When starting it crankes alot before it catches., runs fime once sarted. Why?
2. When driving, it dosent seem to shift into high gear, id say 2500 rpms at 45mph. Filter, kick down linkage? Thanks

So, counting the gears that are switched, does that mean that it's stuck in 2nd gear, or is it in 3rd gear? If you are assuming that it should be clicking into 4th (overdrive), then that may be where you're going wrong. That transmission should be a ChryCo 727 (if memory serves) and you only HAVE three speeds available with that transmission. It's possible that the previous owner put lower axle gearing in it (typically to turn taller tires, or to tow with), and if it's turning 2500 rpm at 45mph in third gear, then that's likely it.

On the other hand, if it's not shifting from 2nd gear to 3rd gear, you're going to need to take it by a transmission shop. That year/model should not have a 3rd-gear lockout on it (meaning that it's not likely some sensor could causing the problem), so that means inner transmission trouble, if it's not shifting out of 2nd gear.

Third possibility: Your shift linkage is not adjusted properly, I guess.

HTH, and have a GREAT weekend!
Kevin

Back