95 jeep grand cherokee limited wont start

psypher420

well i just bought a 95 grand cherokee limited with the 5.2 and it wont start sometimes but when it does start it idles real rough then dies and now the ac and windows dont work new to jeeps so any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Last edited:

Any SES lamp on?. Check the Fuses for the window and a/c issue first before we go indepth with the electrical concern.

I would take it to Autozone or anyone of those parts supply that scans for DTC's for free and find out what it is first. This will give you a direction in troubleshooting the cause for the concern and take the guess work out.

cant get it to start to take it to autozone im located in san antonio how much would u cahrge to look at it

Cool but sorry, i don't do service calls. Free of charge if you take it to me here in Kerrville on a trailer. We can scan it with the Chrysler scan tool and do some test on it.

Spin the motor over with the cap off and you can see which way it turns. Sounds to me like the body ground wire broke off (not the one on the motor) or the alternator went bad. (what happens if you jumpstart it and leave the cables on? Does everything work then?)

ok i got it to start and got everything working but it only starts when ur pressing the gas pedal but as soon as i lift off it turns off also the tach jumps around all crazy like

Last edited:
ok i got it to start and got everything working but it only starts when ur pressing the gas pedal but as soon as i lift off it turns off also the tach jumps around all crazy like
Is your battery any good?, with the symptoms you've described so far sounds like a faulty battery. Just a thought.

yeah its a brand new battery 2 days old . when its starts it idles all weird like and the rpms jump around ,evrything works ,the timing chain timing gear and water pump were replaced right before i got it , the guy i got it from said it worked before he replaced them is it possible it can be off timing

yeah its a brand new battery 2 days old . when its starts it idles all weird like and the rpms jump around ,evrything works ,the timing chain timing gear and water pump were replaced right before i got it , the guy i got it from said it worked before he replaced them is it possible it can be off timing
Yes it's possible. When in doubt, check it.

Sounds like a bad throttle position sensor (quite often they screw up when people wash the motor and spray water into them) Or a bad vacuum leak/hooked up wrong hose.

drove around today, jeep dies at stops ,its also makin a rattling noise from the cat , any ideas on what it good be

drove around today, jeep dies at stops ,its also makin a rattling noise from the cat , any ideas on what it good be
A rattle from the catalytic converter means you need to replace it. The A/C issue could very well be a bad blower motor resistor.

Sounds like the cat could be clogged up possibly and the back pressure tryin to come back up through the head killin your engine, don't know about emission laws where your at but if you can take it off and see how it runs then, if it's better replace the cat or just leave it off and straight pipe it with some flowmasters, louder is better,lol hope this helps

Back