power steering fluid leaked,engine problem?

beakster

Ok,I'm freaking out. I had a whining noise and then found my power steering fluid had completely leaked out at the connection of the high pressure cooling hose and the power steering pump. Now I just found an article saying the it can cause severe engine and coolage fan damage. http://www.billhughes.com/temp/WJfan.pdf
I don't understand how this can happen.
I'm going to remove the connection and see if there is an o-ring to replace if that is why it is leaking,fill it and see if it helps. I have a bad feeling that whining is very bad news. Any ideas? What kind of engine damage could this cause? 4.7 V8 cherokee :cry::shock::?:

If it's the early build 4.7 GC, i would suggest that you replace the entire pressure line. A revised fitting was released for this system. Depending on how long you ran the engine prior to finding out that the power steering fluid had leaked out will depend weather the p/s pump was damaged or not. The best way to find out is to replace the line first then purge the air from the system. It will take awhile to get all the air out so be patient in doing so. Each time you check the fluid level, you will notice that the fluid is pinkish in color due to the aeration in the fluid.

OK I replaced the high pressure hose and the pump. All is well! Thanks for your help!

Back