Change or not;trans. fluid, filter/Jeep Liberty

I was told by the Service Manager that to flush, change filter, fluid, etc.
would actually shorten the life of the auto trans/4WD in my 2004 Jeep Liberty, 6cyl, 109,000 miles, since I hadn't done it before.

This defies common sense. True? Why?

As a jeep tech I can tell you this who ever told you that is looking out for you to save you costly trans repairs , a average trans should be serviced every 20.000 miles changing 1/2 new 1/2 old fluid and new filter to keep it running smooth and save life of trans , changing fluids to a trans with the excess of 100.000 miles for first time is not a very safe idea since all the internal parts have lots of wear and the particles in fluids help hold internal parts intact using new fluids will flush out all the particles holding internals intact causing malfunction , even trans with 20.000 miles have wear but a 1/2 new and 1/2 old fluid change will help reduce wear with out breaking down fluid all the way, the remaining particles will help internal parts to a point of running smooth with out disturbing all the internal tarnish , its kind of hard to explain hope you get the idea and always add the 1/2 old before 1/2 new to prevent disturbing the tarnishon internals

X2, very seldom do i see those kind of situations to survive without any character change on shifting and performance and soon after a non functioning transmission.

I appreciate your answers.

To 54cj3bZ: What is your opinion of an additive like Trans-X? Would it help or hinder? If you recommend it, a quart of old out and a quart in? Smaller amounts?

Your advice is consistent with what I have now read on other automotive forums and I must say I feel good about the Jeep dealer service manager that first told me not to do it. It just seemed to defy common sense, but, if I had an abundance of common sense, I would have read the owners' manual all the way through it. I have maintained it very well, seldom over the 3,000 miles for oil changes to keep the warranty valid. I hve definitely learned a lesson.

Thank you guys!

Does it feel like its slipping at all , If so, I would add a pint of trans additive forget the name napa has it starts with a X with couple numbers its a little thick so dont use any more than a pint it also will help clean out any cloged ports in trans and condition the internals on it and comes in a silver can with blue and yellow lable it will help it run smoother and shift easier

Back