2004 Jeep Liberty... new user needs help...

maine1963

Ok, my friends husband freaked out one night (too many shots at closing time!) and he smashed the wiper/headlight dimmer arm.

It is literaly hanging off the stearing column! The amazing part is that everything is still working with this lever "dangling" off the column by the wiring!

I have searched high and low and can not find a diagram that shows this assembly, nor can I find it by nomenclature.

Can someone point me in the right direction for a parts schematic, actual part number/nomenclature to search for??

Thanks for any help you can send my way!

Greg
Maine

REMOVAL

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, DISABLE THE SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, DRIVER AIRBAG, PASSENGER AIRBAG, SEAT BELT TENSIONER, FRONT IMPACT SENSORS, SIDE CURTAIN AIRBAG, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.
  1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. If the vehicle is equipped with the optional tilt steering column, move the tilt steering column to the fully lowered position and leave the tilt release lever in the released (down) position.
  3. From below the steering column, remove the screws that secure the lower shroud to the upper shroud (MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH REMOVE/INSTALL).
  4. Push inward on both sides of the upper shroud near the parting line between the upper and lower shrouds to release the snap features that secure the two halves to each other.
  5. Remove both of the shrouds from the steering column.
  6. Disconnect the two instrument panel wire harness connectors for the multi-function switch from the two connector on the back of the switch housing.
  7. Remove the multi-function switch from the steering column lock housing by carefully rocking the switch and pulling the switch housing upward far enough to disengage its alignment posts and locator tabs from the lock housing.
80ca4d8a.gif

1 - UPPER SHROUD2 - MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH3 - CLOCKSPRING4 - LOWER SHROUD 5 - SCREW (2)6 - STEERING COLUMN7 - WIRE HARNESS CONNECTOR (2)

Welcome to Jeepz..

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that was fast...

Thank you for the detailed instructions!

Do you have a recommendation as to finding the correct part number(s) for the lever...?

I could get that for you but i'm not at work. However, you can get the results your looking for if you call a Dealer. I will still look up the part number tomorrow at work and post it.

Part# for Multifunction switch with Fog lamp switch- 56010126AH.. Without Fog lamp-56010125AH..

I have a similar issue. However, I cannot get the shroud screws (5) out! What the heck tool do they require? I have tried a T25, T27, 3mm, 4mm, 5/32... PLEASE help.

Got it. You're right. T20 is it. The problem was that I was missing he head and hitting the grooved washer. I though it was spinning in the head and was concerned about stripping it.

Now, on to figuring out if I can repair the signal box myself.

Good luck on repairing the multifunction switch. It's a mux circuit switch that has resistance values on each function.

Back