Just bought a new 96 cherokee and 3 of 4 doors don't open

brooksmb

I bought it at auction and paid less than a million, so I got a great deal! I haven't had a chance to tinker with it yet. I plan on taking off the door panels first and going from there. Right now the only door that will open is the passenger door. I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas before I start taking it apart. Also, it has signifigant rust underneath, below both doors. I can put my hand up inside from underneath. What would be my best plan of action here?

hi. sounds like the doors may still be locked ,as for rust if its floorboards remove interior and start rebuilding if rocker panels quadratech.com just started to carry rockers and some other sheetmetal.

Or you can do what I did and replace the rockers with 3x3 square tube. Makes for good sliders if you plan to wheel it because they get crushed pretty fast.

With significant rust seen beneath, it's possible that the unibody is in such a corroded state that the chassis has flexed and prevents the doors from opening. Good luck, hope it's not as serious as it sounds.

Thanks for all the help. I turned out that the locking mechanisms on the inside were just rusted out and not working right. Just like they say " a little wd40 and sum duct tape can fix almost anything. All 4 doors open now.

Back