at HWY speeds steering shakes real bad

andyruiz

1998 Cherokee 2WD, I put on that 3in lift kit months back with some 31's just balanced, OK this only occurs when going over a rough section of hwy, reflectors, little bumps and cracks. shaking will not stop until i reduce speed by braking, on a skale from a 1 to 10 I'm at a 9 it scairs the crap out of me:shock: oh and for the steering arms i gave them a twist and about 1/2in of play could this be it:???:

check your control arm and track bar bushings for wear. and make sure the track bar frame bracket is tight..

alignment reduced the wobble now it wobbles when going up 6% grade hills at speeds but will try the balance and maybe rotate

I've seen this before on cherokees. Many times this is caused by a worn out steering damper. that is a pretty cheap and easy fix. I would normally tell you to check all of your steering joints but if you had it aligned they should have done that for you. Give that a shot and let me know how it turns out.

I have to agree with everything here. I had the death wobble and mine was alignment got that balanced and rotated tires and it is gone. My sister in law with her cherokee had the steering damper go bad and she actually fixed it herself! Got a new one and put it in :)

When all else fails on those big tires check and see if you have not broken a belt in a sidewall, even on new tires it happens. Jack the tire up and put something beside of it about 1/4 inch from the tire and spin the tire. If the distance changes as the tire spins.....bingo!!

Back