Jeep Liberty LOUD Whine on cold start

johnson7634

Hey guys, hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

Well, I am working on my fiance's Jeep Liberty (2002 with 3.7L engine) because it has a loud whining noise at a cold start. It only lasts for a few seconds and then goes away. It also gets worse as it gets colder outside (below 50F or so).

Now I have read across the net that this might be an issue with the power steering pump / bearings / etc. Has anyone had that kind of issue before, and if so, how did you go about fixing it?

The noise seems like it is coming from the back of the engine though. I don't have the repair manual so I don't know where everything is just yet. I usually work on my Cherokee but the Liberty seems to be a different animal.

Thanks for the help guys!

wifes 06 does same thing check fluid level in power steering pump may be low or if its foamy its got a air leak somewhere in the system

Well, the Fiance took the vehicle in to the dealership because her parents were pressuring her. Now the dealership wants $500+ to fix a hose (at least thats what little infromation I got). Also, it seems the dealership said that the power steering fluid was low and that she could have messed up her steering rack? Is that even possible?

Now I am still young and I have a lot to learn, but I was under the impression that if a power steering pump goes out.... no big deal, just makes it hard to turn the vehicle and not much other damage can occur. Is that an accurate statement? (on some cars, not on others, etc...)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

The rack and pinion will not be harmed if the P/S pump fails due to lack of pressure or air in the system, However, IF the p/s pump has failed to where there were particles of the pump that circulated thru the rack and pinion valve, THAT will be bad for the rack and pinion.. I would replace the leaking p/s line first, try to flush the fluid out as much as possible and replace it with a new fluid. Remember to use ATF+4 on the steering fluid. DO NOT use a regular powersteering fluid on that system. After filling the reservoir to the max. level. , with the engine off, turn the steering from lock to lock position several times and re-check the fluid . Keep topping off the fluid until it stops from going down. Start the engine and turn the steering lock to lock position about 4 times then shut the engine off. DO NOT let the engine run more than a minute when you do this or it will damage the pump. The aeration on the fluid will make the fluid look foamy and pink. let it sit for a few minutes until the aeration is no longer visible. Do the last procedure about 3 more times until the fluid no longer gets foamy..If all else fails and the whinning noise is still evident, replace the p/s pump.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that out and see if that fixes it. It seems like this is a common issue on the Liberty at 90K miles or so (from other research).

Thanks again for the advice.

Back