Questions about Wrangler vs Cherokee

amp2286

Hey all,
I've been looking at Jeeps for about 2 months now, looking to get my first one. Mostly I have been looking at wranglers, but have recently started looking at Cherokees also. I have found a 98 Cherokee with a 4.0, auto trans, and 87k miles. I'm wondering whether to seriously consider this, or to just keep looking at wranglers. I have come to love the lifestyle that comes with owning a Jeep (at least what I've read about). I have some hesitations about this that I was hoping y'all could help answer. As far as fixing cars, I know nothing, and I was excited to learn with a wrangler because of their simple set up. Will I be looking at a similar set-up with the Cherokee? I don't intend to do much serious off-roading, but I do want to ride some trails and such, what might I be giving up or gaining by having the Cherokee for this? What are the argument for/against the frame of the Wrangler vs the lack of frame with the Cherokee?

I want to thank eveyone now for any responses, I really do appreciate the help. Also, I am posting this in the Wrangler forum and the Cherokee forum so that I can get opinions from owners of both (which will hopefully help minimize biases and focus on the straight facts). I also understand that some of the reasons for one or the other depend on personal opinion and preference, so I will keep that in mind. Thanks again.

i personaly own a cherokee. but they are both dang good wheeling trucks. the wrangler seems to have a little better aftermarket support then the cherokee. the front suspension is nearly identical. the cherokee has leaf springs in the back instead of a 4 link.. because of this the cherokee is a little bit cheaper to lift. the cherokee has more interior room so if you wanna bring a few friends and camping gear with you it may be a better choice.. i leave you with that fact is they are both awsome on or offroad.
hope this helped out some

~chance~

How old are you? I'm 40 and the Wrangler (YJ) is getting a little rough in the PA winters with all the extra ventilation. And even rougher in the summers with the no A/C. And even rougher on the highways with all the flapping...

If you're younger, and want to get the full effect of 'the jeep thing', get a Wrangler. It is a blast. Get a TJ, the newer the better, get the A/C and start waving at everybody. I know the Cherokee is a very capable rig, but on the surface (just the surface) it looks like just another SUV.

kevin
(looking for a GC with heated seats!)

We have both. Compared to the Cherokee, the Wrangler seems cavernous inside. The Cherokee is much quieter and smoother driving. They are both equally capable off the road. I guess it all depends if you want to go topless or not. Both great Jeeps. Good luck!:shades:

I'm 42 and still love my Wrangler year round. but when more than 2 of us have to go, the Cherokee is better. it's the wife, 16 yo son and me.

Never had a Wrangler only a CJ but I like the fact that I can hear my radio and have a conversation going down the highway. My CJ had a hard top but without carpet or anything it was loud.

Back