97 cherokee with crank sensor problems

Jeepcowboy12

My jeep cherokee with an inline 6 cylinder engine will start and run for 4-5mins but than it will shut down, after that it wont start until the engine has cooled off for 5-6mins. Need assistance please.

Welcome to Jeepz. When it shuts down, does it have fuel pressure and ignition fire?

I've never seen that problem on the 91-97 model XJ's. Does the 97 still have the ignition coil? Can't remember if they did away with it in 97 or 98. Anyway, in the Renix XJ's it was pretty common for the CPS to heat up and stop working, never heard of that being an issue in later OBD 1 and OBD 2 type models. I guess anything is possible.
I've seen the CPS short and cause grief, but it didn't seem to be temperature related.
The next time it craps out, run around to the distributor side of the block and touch your finger on the side of the coil. Be carefull it may be too hot to touch. If it is too hot to touch, it may be overheating and failing, I've seen that before.
The next time it craps out, have an ohm meter handy and check the CPS for a short. Not sure about the CPS ohm test for a 97, I have a 96, it may be the same test it may not. I'll try to look it up, if I have it in my PDF files someplace I'll post the test.

The main problem from my jeep computer is just saying the crank sensor isnt catching the timeing so its not keeping it running than shutting off so i dont know.

If the computer is saying the CPS, that's liklely it then. Like Bountyhunter said clean the connector first. The book says there is no definitive test for the CPS, except with scan tool.
You can try checking between the grey/black wire and the Brown/yellow wire with an ohm meter with the connector unpluged. If the 97 is basically the same as the 96 it should read open and you should have infinite resistance.
The third wire is violet I think and is the five volt supply voltage, should get five volts with the key in the run position (best to check that one with the connector connected and back pin through the connector). You can test it to chassis ground.
If the CPS is sending no pulse signal to the computer for a few seconds, the computer opens the ASD relay and you won't get any spark or fuel.

Back