BALLZYCHEROKEE

Hi Guys,
Has anyone heard of switching out 1991 two piece front axle with a later year one piece axle shaft? I have had it with the vacuum disconnect unit.
And I have tried the $200. cable replacement gizmo. It still pops out of four wheel drive at the worst times! I can get an axle at the local boneyard if this works. Any help would be much appreciated. Bg

Attachments

• hl69e.jpg
    hl69e.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 305
  • r50.jpg
    r50.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:

All you need is a one piece axle, cover plate for the CAD (can be made with scrap piece of plate) and an inner seal. The external seals made by Alloy USA work well too. You will need to remove the seal used at the CAD location.

I pulled the cover off and stuck the fork behind the shift collar to keep it engaged permanently.

You can also remove the disconnect assembly and install it upside down, the fork will hold the shift collar engaged permanently. It will not disengage. A lot cheaper and easier than swapping to the 1-piece axleshaft.

That turning the disconnect upside down sounds like a great idea! I will try this first. If I run into problems I'll go the replace axle route. Thanks! ...BG

Back