Question about fuel filter 2000 Jeep grand cherokee laredo

marsh90703

I bought the haynes book jeep at auto zone, it tells me that I don't have to change the fuel filter until the check engine light comes on for it. Would it be a good idea to change it anyways? And is my fuel line pressurized? Or can I just switch it out myself?

That depends. If you think you have some trash in the fuel tank, then yes, replace the fuel filter/strainer. I looked at the service interval schedule a and b and didn't see any service requirements on either one of them.

There should be one external to the tank, under the body on top of the rear axle assy.
80bc0c70-1.gif

REALLY? the elimination of a readily accessible fuel filter (w/o pulling the tank) was a stupid idea. I didnt know that they started putting an inline filter back on them. My 97 Wrangler has none; (I did a frame swap on that one so I know every nut and bolt) same as my 97 Ram truck; my 01 Cherokee either. I have a reciept in the pile that came with my 97 Cherokee for a fuel filter but have not yet been under it to see it.

When should you be concerned about changing out the fuel filter. Jeep runs great, but has 210,000 miles and I have only had it since 182,500 miles. The only thing that has changed is the use of gas in the past few long trips I have had to make. I do have to make another long trip coming up soon (1600 miles roundtrip) I am not sure if it would drastically show a change in gas usage ???

When should you be concerned about changing out the fuel filter. Jeep runs great, but has 210,000 miles and I have only had it since 182,500 miles. The only thing that has changed is the use of gas in the past few long trips I have had to make. I do have to make another long trip coming up soon (1600 miles roundtrip) I am not sure if it would drastically show a change in gas usage ???

according to WJ jeeps
there is no required interval. It's a long life combo filter/pressure regulator.

I'd post a link but you have to have five posts before you can post a link :lol: Anyway just google "wj jeeps fuel filter" and it's right there.

according to WJ jeeps
there is no required interval. It's a long life combo filter/pressure regulator.

I'd post a link but you have to have five posts before you can post a link :lol: Anyway just google "wj jeeps fuel filter" and it's right there.

Mine is not a WJ it is a 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo or what does the WJ stand for ?? I am single woman just wanting info on whether I should bother changing it out or not due to the mileage and I am sure that it has never been changed before I got the Jeep March 2011

Wj is like another name to reference it. The wj grand cherokee was made from 1999-2004, and before thay it was the zj.

Sent from my Exhibit using Jeepz

Mine is not a WJ it is a 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo or what does the WJ stand for ?? I am single woman just wanting info on whether I should bother changing it out or not due to the mileage and I am sure that it has never been changed before I got the Jeep March 2011

WJ specifies your Jeep for parts and such. The first Cherokees were XJ's, then ZJ's, WJ's, and the current ones are wk's. Just like other Jeeps I'm sure you've heard of the CJ.

Anyway it's not supposed to be a maintanence item. It's designed to be long life. Obviously it will not hurt to change it especially when you get up past 150,000 miles like your WJ Grand Cherokee but they are around 100 dollars and if you're not doing it yourself and have a shop do it then probably expect around 150 total.

Back