Help with my Jeep truck

redneck

Hi, I just got a 83 J10 with the 4.2L. It was run when I got it. I was moving the wire to the MCU and the truck just down and now it only just cranks over. I tried replacing the ignition module and still nothing and check the ohms on the ballast resistor and the distributor puck-up too. So if anyone knows if the MCU is needed to make it run and if it does can it be bypassed. please let me know. thanks

Last edited:

Are you talking about the ignition module?. Which wire did you move?.

The Jeep MCU is the most common version of Jeeps CEC, which I think controls vital engine functions, so it probably can't be bypassed, and if it could it would probably run really bad if at all. I'm no expert though, just my opinion man.

Thanks everyone for te help but I found the problem. It was the plug to the computer. but if anyone still knows how to bypass the computer. I would like to know. Because it has a carb and a vacuum advance, so the computer is just a trigger for the ignition.

Oh well that might be a little easier man, I thought you had the FI engine, you may be able to rewire the truck to run a basic ignition system then man, but that's a little out of my experience range lol

Ya, thank. I was looking into MSD ignition already. Stock is ok but aftermarket is better

Might want to look into an old Dodge (blue or orange) ignition module. Put one in my YJ, worked like a charm.
This may be helpfull, Replacing electronic ignition completely in 1970s-1980s Chrysler, Dodge, and Plymouth cars and trucks

and this Search Results for mopar performance control unit - SummitRacing.com

You have to decide if the MSD is really necessary and cost effective. The orange box (Dodge) will likely do anything you ask of it, along with a suitable coil.. MSD makes an offroad module, built to take a beating. I've never had an early Dodge module fail, though for the price, I did keep a spare in my toolbox.

More spark doesn't necessarily mean more power, it often means shorter plug life.

Last edited:

Check out the Nutter bypass and get rid of the feedback computer (I did several so far) I even swapped HEI dist on my '83 full size Wagoneer. 1 wire and it ran nice!

Back