Older XJ Insurance Coverage Question

JeepGirl247

Hello again to all the Jeepers out there...

I know that everyone's situation is different, but I'd like some general advice regarding insurance coverage for an older Cherokee.

When I was on the phone with an agent giving me a policy quote, he basically said my 88 XJ would be totalled at $800 if there was ever a claim filed under collision or comprehensive coverage. He suggested to insure it without collision and without comprehensive coverage in the policy.

To those of you who own, drive, and insure any older model Jeep (Cherokee or other), what do you do about an insurance policy/coverage for it?

Thanks in advance.

Have to agree with agent on older vehicles full coverage is a waste of money. Had a relative total his older motorhome back in February . He was paying about $800 a year for full coverage for about the last 15 years. He was paid $600 for his motorhome. Not a real good investment. I just carry the state minimum on my jeep with umbrella coverage.

Last edited:
I agree. Carry liability only. If you wreck it....fix it. Its yours. You will pay more for collision in a year or so than you can buy another old Jeep for. Buy whatever will keep you out of trouble when or if you run into someone else otherwise, take your chances.

Thanks for the answers. I know logically it appears to be the right way to go with only liability, but I still find it scary to drive around without any type of collision or comp. on my Jeep...

Is there anyone out there who DOES carry collision and/or comp on there older Jeep?

you can get it covered for what you can pove it is worth. keep all recets and you will have to go to a insurance that cover custem cars.it is nice to have if a uninsured person hits you.your insurance should help you in finding some.

depends on what you call "older"; I had an 01 Cherokee that I pd $6K for, 5 years ago; my son totalled it 2 days past this last Christmas; 5 years and 75K later, I got $6K back by having collision... granted I bought it "right, 5 years ago, paying $6K for a vehicle "then" worth $10.7K, according to the bank I had financed it thru;
I remember having the conversation with my agent about cancelling collision on my old 89 Dodge Diplomat; (this being 5-6 years ago) and on "that" car it was like $7/mo to have collision vs not; I mean according to the State I have to have SOME insurance on anything I drive; so it's not like my insurance bill would drop to $0 if I didn't have collision;
but with the fact that I am about to add another vehicle to the bill (my 17 yo son's newly bought 89 Ramcharger) I am gonna have that "should I drop any coverage" conversation with my insurance guy here real soon, hope to add the RC and keep my bill as close to the same as it currently is as I can.....
but then again, my daily driver is an 83 Dodge D 250, 3/4 ton pickup; my only vehicle on the insurance WITHOUT collision, at this point; before my son became licensed I was paying $26/mo on this truck; simply by adding my son's name to the policy (all vehicles staying the same) that truck jumped from $26 to 86 per month!!!
I pay more to insure my oldest vehicle than I do for full coverage on BOTH my Jeeps; a 97 TJ and a 97 XJ(replacement for the 01 XJ)
wanna know what don't make sense to me? Why does a '97 4.0 TJ cost LESS to insure, on the same policy even, as the 97 XJ? all the same coverages on both. I brought that complaint up when we had the 01 XJ (we are paying the same for the 97 XJ as we were on the 01; same coverages and all) the agent claimed it was because the 01 was 4 years newer than the TJ; but now that I have an XJ the same year as the TJ, it STILL costs more to insure than the TJ...... you tellin me that if both were totalled the same day (god forbid) that they would pay that much more for my XJ on a "total" than they would on my TJ??? something does not add up.

My 88 xj liability only if it gets totaled I keep and part out to make up the lose
my 54cj3b had it apraised $12500.so its fully insured for that value

So are you saying that if I would get my 88 XJ appraised and then take that appraisal value to my insurance company (just a regular company, not a custom insurer), that they could guarantee covering my Jeep for that price is I got collision coverage on my policy? Keep in mind, this is my daily driver and only drivable vehicle now, so classic/antique insurance is not an option for me...Thanks in advance.

If you're willing to pay the difference in price then I would get the liability insurance and bank the difference - I bet within 6-12 months you have enough saved up to buy a new XJ if yours gets wrecked.

If you're willing to pay the difference in price then I would get the liability insurance and bank the difference - I bet within 6-12 months you have enough saved up to buy a new XJ if yours gets wrecked.

Nevermind; I see that I basically repeated my last post in this thread..... but I will add that

since my wife's "new" Jeep to replace that wrecked 01 happens to "only" a 97 Cherokee, (which I put on with the same coverages as the 01 had) and my TJ is also a 97, I am gonna have "that" talk with my agent, about whether to drop collision on them. He has always been quite honest with me over the nearly 20 years I have been with him, and gave me the facts, but leaving the decision up to me as to what to do with my coverages;
I may have to keep fulll coverage on one of teh daily drivers due to the coverage I have on my 78 Plymouth Fury 2 door hardtop (I do have full cov on that, 2-owner, 47K original miles, very good shape)

BUT. due to something having to do with a wreck my wife had (she was rear ended) 5 years ago, that still is not resolved, and the resolution that they are "sticking to" and is totally unacceptable to me and my wife, I think I will be shopping for a new insurance company, once the dust settles from that. She is still having problems that started from that day on.
All else that I will say about that right now, is that 1) hopefully no one here ever has a wreck; I don't wish harm on anyone. but 2) since wrecks are inevitavle in life, at least hope that if you should be so unfortunate, that the "other guy" does NOT have the same insurance as you do. that turned out to be a major problem in my wife's case.

Last edited:
Back