Jeep sounds like a motorbike?

SimpleSurvival

After recently getting stuck in the mud (pulled out by another jeep), exhaust sounds almost like its choked a bit. At times its fine. Engine hums beautifully, isolated the sound under the cab and out back. When I notice this sound while driving there is a slight drop in power to the wheels, always under 50mph. Bad Cat? O2 sensors? muffler? All of the above?
Also noticed a small increase in soot at the tail pipe. Too rich of a burn?
Appreciating any advice...

98 JGC Laredo, 4.0L, I6

Was the mud wattery or more like pudding? Could you maybe have gotten some of that mud/muddy water into the muffler? If you're buried deep enough and you cut the engine off, I think it can backflush up the exhaust system and cause issues (Steel can probably explain this much better than I - or correct me). Do you still have the stock muffler?

It was very much like pudding, standing water on top, just like most ground in ohio in the spring. Stock muffer, i believe it had a hole somewhere to begin with. Tried to pull it off to check it out but the dang clamp are so rusty. Have to cut it out when i get a replacement. Nothing i can do till then?

What was the temp that day. A hot cat and icy cold water can kill it and cause the insides to break apart. Good chance the muffler is partially clogged with mud as well.

Warm day-Cold water. I did read that a piece of the cat 'innards' can clog the pipe. Perhap a piece gets jostled in and out of the pipe by bumps, stops, and go's. The whole system is pretty rusty, i'm sure it all needs replaced.

Best jeep forum ive found. You guys rock!

Back