Tail light problem

HawkStream

Hi. I recently replaced a few of the bulbs in my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The initial problem was that one of the break lights was out.

BUT, now the driver side break light does not work when the head lights are on. All other tail lights are functioning, and the break light on the passenger side works with the head lights on. Both break lights work when the lights are off. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks a lot.

Oh and P.S. - I have tried 3 different bulbs and it did not change. So I dont think the problem is with the bulb. Unless all 3 are the wrong kind...

Possibly an issue with the multifunction switch. Try to wiggle the hazard switch and see if the brake lamp operates properly.

What about cleaning the sockets good with some electrical parts cleaner. check and clear any rust or corrosion and reapply dielectric grease, reinstall bulb and see what that does. Also check where the grounds meet the body (rust).

On that note, check the terminals on the bulb socket for heat spots that may have caused the terminals not to make contact.

Back