Transmission or transfer case.

hurlr21

Hello I have a 87' Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360 w/727 transmission. My problem started after I had the Jeep towed home with a dolly and not a flat bed and the transfer case was not in neutral. Now when I put the Jeep in gear the transmission engages but does not move, but when I put the transfer case in low gear she moves without a problem. Please help I love my Jeep.

I would check the t.case for the issue. Drain the fluid and look at the condition of the fluid for large amounts of metal.

I would probably go ahead and change the filter and fluid in the trans also, I would say that fluid was boiling. How far did you tow it? If you tow them any great distance you should remove the driveshaft. I have seen them catch fire before.

The common belief is that the auto transmission cools itself while the internals are turning from the engine side...so if the engine is not powering the transmission, there is no cooling going on.

I've never verified that does indeed take place when an automatic is flat-towed with the rear wheels down, but that's the common rule of thumb, and furthermore, either the rear driveshaft should be disconnected, or the t-case in Neutral to avoid this situation.

Sorry to hear that you're having this trouble. Very frustrating.

Kevin

If you have the Quadratrac transfer case (offset rear diff) it's prolly hosed from the dolly trip.

Back