fuel pump assembly

ubee

I recently installed an aftermarket fuel pump assembly and found that the gauge wasn't reading. The OEM unit would read but was never accurate. After 8 attempts to install the new unit I decided to align the float in a position that would match the oem unit. I was able to get it to read but not accurately. Has anyone had a similar problem and a solution?

There is at least two different systems depends on type and the year of the Jeep.
I've had grief with dirty connectors before, the signal (current) through the gage sender is minute and it doesn't take much resistance from very little corrosion to influence the results. I fixed faulty fuel level gages by cleaning the contact strip at the gage cluster.

If you disconnect the fuel sender connector (at the pump) the needle should go all the way down to "E". Beleive it is the connector with the dark blue wire, though to tell you the truth I never tried it on a 92, I have on a 93, It's likely they are the same.
The sender (in the 93) reads between 5-105 ohms depending on the fuel level. 5 ohms being full and a 105 empty. At least 4 connectors between the fuel gage and the sender maybe 5, in my experience I'd check for a high resistance or open circuit in the sender circuit.

my first post was somewhat misleading I suppose. I have actually replaced the OEM pump. In the process of installing the new one I discovered that the new unit would not register on the gauge. After 8 attepmts to re-install it I discovered that the float was in a different position than the OEM unit. The OEM unit had the float laying very close to th sock where the aftermarket float was at 180 degrees away and it seemed that it would hit the side of the tank and not be allowed to move. I decided at that time to rotate it so it would be closer to the original and of course, Iwas not accurate at all in leaving it a position that would be equal to the OEM but I got it to a point that it does operate just not perfectly. I have tried most of the local sources for pumps and they all look the same. I think my next move will be a salvage yard for a used OEM pump after I check the wiring as you suggest. Thanks for your help.

Back