HELP! 96 GCL 4x4 4.0 strt 8

phughes

JGCL has 186,000 miles...I engaged 4WD to drive off road in mountains, stopped and changed back to 2WD. I went about 15 miles and noticed a bad odor (I thought it was coming from outside...just a bad smell in the air). The Jeep was riding a little rougher than usual...or different. I thought that it may be bc I got 2 new tires put on the front the day before. I went about 10 more miles and came to a stop at a red light. At that time I noticed that smoke was billowing out of the L side from under the hood, it seemed). I turned L and I heard a popping noise plus the front seemed to jerk/jump when I turned...I was going to try to drive it back to the house, but after I parked it and then cranked it back up and drove it, the popping and jerking/jumping was a LOT worse. My brother drove it a little and advised that it is still in 4WD (even though I put it back in 2WD)...the lever is on 2WD...does anybody have any idea what's wrong? I need help QUICK...I am stuck in GA!!!

Chances are it ruined the transfer case, as indicated by the smoke. Often times you have to put the jeep in reverse for a short distance to ensure it came out of 4wd, especially with full-time transfer cases. Can you post the model number of your transfer case? It's found on the small round tag attached to the rear of the transfer case, just to the left of where the rear driveshaft attaches.

Yeah it does sound like the t-case, the reverse trick is always a good idea, just spin the tires a little in the sand or something and make sure just the rears are spinning.

my brother went 2 get my Jeep on a trailer...when he put it on the trailer, the 4x4 disengaged. The mechanic checked it & said that it didn't completely disengage (while I was driving)...but, now it's OK...he changed the gear fluid/oil bc it was scorched...said all I need 2 do is have it changed again n like a week bc he couldn't get all the bad out. It still smells bad. I drove it home from NW GA 2 SE AL ... a couple times it felt like it didn't want 2 spin...like it just stopped spinning? It did that about 5 times total. But, it would act right soon..I never broke down & it never smoked...do u think the mechanic is wrong & there IS something wrong? I did not know the REVERSE trick...I seldom use the 4WD. Is it safe 2 use 4x4 now?

Chances are it ruined the transfer case, as indicated by the smoke. Often times you have to put the jeep in reverse for a short distance to ensure it came out of 4wd, especially with full-time transfer cases. Can you post the model number of your transfer case? It's found on the small round tag attached to the rear of the transfer case, just to the left of where the rear driveshaft attaches.
I will get the model # soon...it's like 110 degrees right now...I will LOOK 4 it this afternoon...hopefully I can find it =)) TY

I didn't know the REVERSE trick..I hope it's not 2 late! I feel like she's just not driving like she did b4...my (15 yo) daughter says I'm paranoid..Mayb I shud take it 2 my reg mechanic? He's JEEP certified...I have NO idea about the mechanic n GA...what do u think?

I'm guessing you have the np242 which has both part-time and full-time 4x4. And I'll bet you were in the ful-time mode when this all started. If so there might be a chance that as long as you stay away from the full-time mode you'll be ok. One thing in your favor though is that there's alot of replacements out in the salvage yards.

yes..I was n FT 4WD .. so, it may OK if I do not use 4WD @ all (EVER)? That will suck...but, it still smells really bad...no smoking, tho..how can I make that smell go away? Should I b worried about other pressing issues? Thank you so much 4 ur help & advice =)

Back