popping noise

firestarter

Hey all,

A while back I asked this question is a longer thread but thought I'd start a new one specific to this (rather than the list of issues I had before). Here's the issue. After the engine is warm and I come to a sudden stop (normal braking) I hear a popping/cracking/bubbling noise coming from somewhere beneath the shifter or 12v outlet (best position i can gather). For a while I thought this was just a small hole in my exhaust causing all this noise under back-pressure created from decelerating 45-0. But after further inspection, if i wiggle the shifter while in 2wd it goes away. With this discovery I assume it's something transfer case related.

Any thoughts on what could be going on here?

I should note that the vehicle runs perfectly fine, no knocking on the U-Joints. or anything. I'm also not doing a lot of shifting of the t-case and overall don't drive it very often even though it's my DD (we have really nice public transit out here) so it's pretty much a toy at the moment. If this is a malfunctioning t-case what damage could it do? Also, are their any good way's to check it without tearing everything apart?

Thanks in advance,

From other forum's i've narrowed the issue down to bad bushings in the linkage. Quick question if anyone is following this. Does your t-case lever have any play in it when set to 2wd?

Thanks

Did you install a transfer case lowering kit when the lift kit was installed?

The transfer case shifter linkage is a goofy setup, connected to both the transfer case and the tub. Any interference with the shifter bellcrank or worn bushings will cause some strange noises.

Back