05 Liberty Engine Light on...

RojoJeep

I own an 05 Jeep Liberty, took to dealer b/c of windows, had those fixed, had engine light on with o2 sensor codes, they replaced those but they still can't get engine light to go off, then dealer says bad wiring, ok fixed that, engine light still on, now wiring shorted my pcm so I need to replace ($600). So before I dish out $600+ I need some advice. My car runs, everything works so how can I need a new PCM? Tech says codes are bank1 sensor 2, bank2 sensor 2...

I would get the exact codes from the tech and before I authorize any PCM repair but I would also get a second opinion.

PCM's rarely go out so if you do have them do it make sure you get a GUARANTEE that it will fix the problem because they can't send back the PCM if it doesnt fix the problem so then your stuck with it and the bill.

I will get exact codes. Do they need to reset the PCM if the O2 sensors are replaced? Somewhere I read this but it was related to an non-functioning jeep. Also what can happen if I don't replace my PCM? I have around 118,000 in it. From what I was told the O2 wiring was burnt b/c it was touching the exhaust. There was corrosion on wiring by PCM which shorted it out. ?? But I don't have a performance problem with the vehicle, so I'm not sure what it's supposed to fix.

P0058-O2 SENSOR 2/2 HEATER CIRCUIT HIGH. If it was properly diagnosed per service manual and due to to the process of elimination, PCM replacement is the last resort. Corrosion on the terminals to the PCM can be cleaned and re-tested. The possible causes for this DTC are as follows;
O2 SENSOR HEATER OPERATION
O2 HEATER ELEMENT
O2 HEATER GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
O2 SENSOR
O2 HEATER CONTROL SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
O2 HEATER CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN
PCM​

So that means I need to replace? and pray nothing else triggers it? Do I need the dealer to change the PCM? or can an individual do it?

BTW, what does DTC mean?

Sounds like I need a second opinion. I did ask if PCM is replaced does that fix the problem, dealer said no not necessarily. so I'm hesitant to replace it...sounds like they are "fishing" and it's costing me $$ on the way.

Last edited:
Ya I'd agree man, sounds like they're fishing and trying to milk you for as much money as possible in the process, i'd get a 2nd opinion before I dropped $600, alot of money to waste if it doesn't fix the problem.

I wouldn't replace it if they don't guarantee it. Take it elsewhere and fast.

DTC= Diagnostic Trouble Code

Back