When do need to change the timing chain?

gotdirt

Greatings from Northern Michigan.
We have two Cherokees a 2000 and a 2001. (driven daily by woman:cry:)
I was wondering when you should change the timing chain and gear.
Thank you in advance,
Jake

From personal experience (I have a belt, not a chain), I would suggest you check the owner's manual and change at the recommended mileage. Got stuck in north Georgia with a blown timing belt (luckily, that was all) because I didn't pay attention to the manual. Could've been a whole lot worse (valves, heads, pistons, $$$$$$$). I was lucky - won't make that mistake again.

Hey Gotdirt Alldata doesn't recommend a service interval on theTiming Gear and Sprocket. They recommend changing it after you get 1/2 of deflection in the chain. (If its a Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 its .59 Inches and the procedure is a little bit more involved.)That's probably not going to happen until your well over 100,000 miles.

Thank you so much for your input.
Being old school I remember my chains and gears needing to be replaced at 60k.
Both cherokees are sport models and I was unable to find any info in any of my manuals.

wow, 60k on chains and gears? really old school, ha ha ha. that is the times on a timing belt now.

i have never changed a chain on any vehicle and most of my 4.0 I6 engines had over 200k when we sold them and htey made no noise or had any trouble. probably should some day check that kind of stuff though since the wife's wrangler has 175k and my cherokee has 130k.

60K was on the old school GM nylon tipped aluminum gears (they were trying to make them quieter. Steel ones last 100,000 miles plus)

Back