1998 ZJ PRND loose/Slips

andypw22

Hi
Very new here. This is my first post. I have searched throughout and could not find a similar problem/fix.
I just picked up a used 1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo; automatic transmission.
The PRND shifter has a lot of play in it. When I push the button I can shift through all the gears. It locks in Park and Reverse but when I put in
Drive it does not really stay in there. (I know it's not supposed to lock in Drive)
It drops out of Drive and into Neutral with the slightest of pressure and even a good bounce of the suspension. The real problem is I can push it from Neutral to Reverse without pushing the button. It won't lock in Reverse, but it does go into Reverse and it's not supposed to.
My question is: Do you thinks it's in the shifter or the transmission linkage?
btw: supposedly it has a rebuilt transmission.
I am thankful for any help. Going to get the repair manual this weekend

That symptom you described sounds more like a shifter mechanism issue rather than trans. linkage. The Detents on the shifter maybe damaged.

That symptom you described sounds more like a shifter mechanism issue rather than trans. linkage. The Detents on the shifter maybe damaged.

Thanks SteelHeadz. I'm gonna tear into the shifter this week end. The light for the shifter doesn't work either so I bet you're right. Something not right in there.

Back