Please Help !!! A 3.7 in a commander...

Thee Edge

I have a 2007 Commander Sport with the 3.7 L V6 and a NAG Transmission, I want more power and I have tried to boil it down to a couple of options. I started down the path of supercharging it but i have discovered that there is an issue with the pistons needing to be swapped out. So now I am looking at my other option of pulling the motor and putting a 5.7 W MDS. But I can't find if it will bolt to that transmission or not and what I will have to change beside the motor mounts, wiring, possibly the suspension etc. What can I work with and what all am I going to have to change out if I go that route. ANY Help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
:oops:

The 5.7 Hemi will bolt up to a NAG-1 transmission. Same setup found on the Dodge Chargers and Challengers. Wirings and Modules would be the critical part. The PCM in particular has to be specific for the engine type. The early Hemi production found on the DR body Dodge Ram pickup trucks (02 production) does not have the MDS technology, hence, the PCM will not interchange. Another issue would be programming. Once a VIN number is programmed to a PCM from the original vehicle, It would be almost impossible to swap it to another vehicle. It will cause the entire system to lockup and shut down. Since your Jeep is a 2007 model, it's going to be a CAN-bus communication sytem as opposed to the early models thats a PCI communication system. I'm not saying it's impossible to do this swap however, it's not cost effective to do it for the sake of more horespower.

Dang.....now he's got me wanting to jack around with my wifes Commander. I'd say, if a guy were gonna do it, take both motor and transmission out and get old school with something carbed. Loose all the computers and fuel injection and put something in a guy can actually work on in his own garage. You might loose a couple mpg., but who cares if your power hungry. I'd say 400 small block, built all nasty like, followed by a turbo 400. That would make one sweet family rig.

Completely agree with bobcat!!!!!!!!!! Loose the technologically advance crap and go with something a normal set of wrenches will be compatible with!!

Thank You for all your response's. If it helps I am in UTAH so who knows about the state regs on the ability of ditching the chip set. Sounds like I would have to dump a Ton of money in the techy stuff. I should have bought the Limited with the 5.7 hemi at the time instead of this one. Who ever thought ... oh wait that would have required someone to think something through. But then again I didn't think it through when I bought it so now I get to Pay for my mistake. As always any thoughts are welcome.

Dang.....now he's got me wanting to jack around with my wifes Commander. I'd say, if a guy were gonna do it, take both motor and transmission out and get old school with something carbed. Loose all the computers and fuel injection and put something in a guy can actually work on in his own garage. You might loose a couple mpg., but who cares if your power hungry. I'd say 400 small block, built all nasty like, followed by a turbo 400. That would make one sweet family rig.

I actually think I would get better MPG because of the power to weight ratio.

Back