Torque Converter recommendation?

jpekarek

Hi all! I have been a member for a long time but this is probably my first post.

I just rebuilt the 360 in my '91 Final Edition Grand Wagoneer. The trans has always worked well but I am replacing the front seal just to be safe. I am also going to install a new torque converter and would like some recommendations.

The Wagoneer is all stock except the engine. I rebuilt it with all Edelbrock Performer parts, (cam, lifters, intake and carb). It should run very well.

Should I use a stock converter or upgrade to an aftermarket with a slightly higher stall? It will be a daily driver and a weekend tow vehicle. But I do like to drive it fast!

Thanks James.

Last edited:

Just some thoughts, towing usually uses a lower stall converter, for pure performance I used to try to match my stall speed with peak torque. Peak torque usually comes with your cam specs. Intake also has some bearing, some intakes work better with higher than normal RPM's. High stall converters are usually used to make horsepower, big heavy vehicles need torque more than pure horses. Horsepower usually comes with RPM's.
I used to set up my trucks with a 2200-2400 RPM converter, but mine were freeway fliers with 2.93 or 3.07 rear ends. Getting them to move from a standstill was always interesting.
Something to keep in mind, gassing up that big old heavy Wagoneer, especially in 4X is going to put some serious strain on your transfer. Unless you want to be stretching chains continuously you will be nice with the throttle.

Something to keep in mind, gassing up that big old heavy Wagoneer, especially in 4X is going to put some serious strain on your transfer. Unless you want to be stretching chains continuously you will be nice with the throttle.

I don't plan on beating it up or anything like that. It's too nice and in too good of shape. I have a 5 Ton 6x6 Army truck for beating up!:twisted:

I just need it to be a good driver that can get around quickly and creep through the mountains when I need it too. I am leaning more toward a stock unit right now. When I said drivinging fast, I meant more like cruising 75 or so on the freeway, not drag racing light to light.:beer:

Back