Do I have a limited slip? & limited slip additives

seanzy13

I have an 88 cherokee, 4.0L inline 6, automatic trans. Personally I'm not experienced with differentials, all my vehicles are FWD. I am changing the front and rear differential oils, and I'm wondering if I need to add the friction modifier additive for limited slip. I have not yet taken the rear cover off too look inside, but the front differential looks to me like a regular style differential (I could be wrong tho). I didn't see the gears enclosed in a large case that would house the clutch and everything necessary for a limited slip setup, I don't think. The gears were very open and visible, not similar to what I see when googling a limited slip differential. How can I know for sure? Would it be a number on the build sticker? What would an 88 Cherokee come with normally? There were some numbers on the front differential case, and a tag on the side, as well as the gasket surface. I can get those numbers if needed. Behind the gasket surface was stamped DANA 092 1 I believe.

I understand I need whats called a friction modifier additive. Would there be any harm in putting this in both differentials even if one is not a limited slip? I'd rather be safe then sorry and since I have no differential experience I don't want to make a judgement one way or another. I would take a picture but I already sealed the differential cover back on the front and haven't yet removed the rear.

its a regular ol cherokee, not a special edition? you probably have open diffs then but you can do the lift and turn method to verify. i personally don't know what one looks like so i would have to do like you did and google pics

Cherokees never came from the factory with a limited slip in the front diff, and it's rare in the rear. There should be an extra tag under a diff cover bolt stating a friction modifier is needed if you in fact have a LS and a previous owner didn't remove the tag.

Here's what a popular limited slip diff looks like:
116_0705_04_zford_88_rear_endtraction_lo-1.jpg

Yea defiantly did not have one like that in the front. I was at the parts store this morning and the friction additive was only about $3 so I bought it. Reading the package it says its good for all gear boxes not just limited slip differentials, so I figure I'll put it in the rear just to safe. Sounds like its good for the differential either way.

Back