1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport Shuts off While Idle/Driving

jcianciolo

Last week my 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L inline 6 cyl started to shut off on me for no apparent reason. It first started while idled at a stop light. I started it right back up with no problem. About 30 seconds later same thing, stalled again. This time it would not start right away. Brand new battery and idle air control valve so it was turning over just fine. After a few minutes of trying it finally started again. I blew through the red light thinking I would jump start a clogged fuel filter or something. While driving at about 50-60 mph, it shut off again. This time it would start back up. After about 30 minutes I had tried everything. The last thing I tried was turning off all power drains, like the radio and heater and it started right back up. This was probably just coincidence, but I figure it may be related. I parked the car for the night and it started fine in the morning but it did it again on my way to work about 1 mile into my 3 mile drive. It started back up right away. I parked it for my 10 hour shift and would not start back up on my way home. Still turned over fine but wouldnt fire up. I tired the remote starter and it fired right up. On my way home it stalled one more time on the highway. I was able to throw it in neutral and start it back up to get it to my local mechanic. No check engine lights or computers codes pop up. So far my mechanic has been stumped. He has had it for a couple days.

PLEASE HELP!!!

I did some research and learned this is a common problem with many different things that could be the problem. I have heard MAP Sensor, Crank Position Sensor, PMC could all be the issue.

Has anyone had a similar problem? What is easy enough for me to do myself that could solve the problem?

Thanks

I just had very similar issues. Couldn't figure it out. I finally let it run and started touching harnesses and it died on me as soon as i touched the crank postion sensor harness. I would recommend doing the same.

Last week my 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L inline 6 cyl started to shut off on me for no apparent reason. It first started while idled at a stop light. I started it right back up with no problem. About 30 seconds later same thing, stalled again. This time it would not start right away. Brand new battery and idle air control valve so it was turning over just fine. After a few minutes of trying it finally started again. I blew through the red light thinking I would jump start a clogged fuel filter or something. While driving at about 50-60 mph, it shut off again. This time it would start back up. After about 30 minutes I had tried everything. The last thing I tried was turning off all power drains, like the radio and heater and it started right back up. This was probably just coincidence, but I figure it may be related. I parked the car for the night and it started fine in the morning but it did it again on my way to work about 1 mile into my 3 mile drive. It started back up right away. I parked it for my 10 hour shift and would not start back up on my way home. Still turned over fine but wouldnt fire up. I tired the remote starter and it fired right up. On my way home it stalled one more time on the highway. I was able to throw it in neutral and start it back up to get it to my local mechanic. No check engine lights or computers codes pop up. So far my mechanic has been stumped. He has had it for a couple days.

PLEASE HELP!!!

I did some research and learned this is a common problem with many different things that could be the problem. I have heard MAP Sensor, Crank Position Sensor, PMC could all be the issue.

Has anyone had a similar problem? What is easy enough for me to do myself that could solve the problem?

Thanks

check o2 sensor wire ..sometime it ground with body and shuts off engine.. check the back sensor 1st its after the cat..

I know a malfunctioning CSP sensor can cause a no start / kill condition and dose not always trip a code. Its easy enough to get to I believe, it's on the rear of the engine driver side topish / 1:00 position of the flywheel housing. After the engines cool restart it and jiggle the connector and wires and see if does something. I believe that the fuel injectors won't cycle if the engine computer can't read an input from this sensor and the engine just dies. Using a node light that plugs into the fuel injector harness (it flashes when the injector fires, harbor freight sells them cheap) could help you tell if the injectors are firing. Also when you turn the key on can you hear the whirring sound of the fuel pump in the tank, it sounds like a electric motor? Hope this helps.

Sounds like a bad/loose connection.

I had the same problem with a Cherokee I had years ago. Replaced the crank sensor and a few other things that didn't help. My brother finally discovered it was a bad connection of the crank position sensor wire at the ECM the pin was loose in the connector. Pushed it in tight and it never did it again.

Mike

I know a malfunctioning CSP sensor can cause a no start / kill condition and dose not always trip a code. Its easy enough to get to I believe, it's on the rear of the engine driver side topish / 1:00 position of the flywheel housing. After the engines cool restart it and jiggle the connector and wires and see if does something. I believe that the fuel injectors won't cycle if the engine computer can't read an input from this sensor and the engine just dies. Using a node light that plugs into the fuel injector harness (it flashes when the injector fires, harbor freight sells them cheap) could help you tell if the injectors are firing. Also when you turn the key on can you hear the whirring sound of the fuel pump in the tank, it sounds like a electric motor? Hope this helps.

I took the car back from the mechanic yesterday because the thing ran like a top while he had it (of course). It ran great all day yesterday and now today on the way into work same thing. Died at a stop light and wouldnt start. After a tow to the office it started right back up when it came off the tow bed. I have no clue and my mechanic says its not the CPS or MAP Sensor. I checked all my wiring and connections yesterday with the car running with no stalls or anything. Not sure what else to do.

Sounds like a bad/loose connection.

I had the same problem with a Cherokee I had years ago. Replaced the crank sensor and a few other things that didn't help. My brother finally discovered it was a bad connection of the crank position sensor wire at the ECM the pin was loose in the connector. Pushed it in tight and it never did it again.

Mike

My mechanic says it isnt the CPS but everything I have read says the opposite. I just was reseating all my wiring while teh car was running and nothing I did made the car stall. I then unplugged the CPS as it was running and the car obviously stalled. When I plugged the CPS back in and started up the car, the check engine light came on. Not sure if unplugging the CPS caused this but now maybe my mechanic has a code he work from.

I took the car back from the mechanic yesterday because the thing ran like a top while he had it (of course). It ran great all day yesterday and now today on the way into work same thing. Died at a stop light and wouldnt start. After a tow to the office it started right back up when it came off the tow bed. I have no clue and my mechanic says its not the CPS or MAP Sensor. I checked all my wiring and connections yesterday with the car running with no stalls or anything. Not sure what else to do.

I fuel pump seems to be working fine.

Map, O-2, IAC, and TPS generally cause poor idle, not no-start.

Neutral safety?? Do your back up lights work?

What is pressure and volume output of fuel pump?

When you have no start - Do you have no fuel nor spark?

How's the alternator volts output with all elect acc on?

Crank, Cam sensor, Fuel pump, or even a bad Battery wiring harness can cause no start.

My wife was driving my 97 XJ and it died at a stop light and wouldn't start. I got there and it started right up...Good Optima! With the lights, radio, and defrost on the Volts were under 12v, just the lights on it charged at +13.5v. Alternator tested bad regulator. I upgraded the Alternator to a 136 amp (some alt bracket mods req), then replaced / Rebuilt the Starter, Battery, PDC power and ground cables with 2 gauge winch cable from Napa, and swapped over to some Marine grade cables. Haven't had no start problem since. Best of all I got to upgrade weaker electrical components + the Jeep'll be ready for adding a winch and lights too! ;)

Changed out the Crank Position Sensor. While I was in there decided to replace the valve cover gasket as well. Everything has been all good since. Thanks for all the help. I will keep you posted.

8)

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks
replace the crank sensor that should do it

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks

replace the crank sensor that should do it

Just noticed that thread, I had the exact same problem with the exact same solution, CPS had been replaced and everything is fine since then.
Saar.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks
I had the same problem my hold down bracket on the battery was loose I tightened it up and it stopped.Only problem I'm having now is it stalls when i put it in gear before it gets to operating temperature.As soon as it gets to temp runs fine and I have no problems.Not to say this is your problem but try as many simple things as you can before buying parts(wiggle wires while its running etc)hope this helps

Hello, so my 99 Cherokee xj has an issue lol I went through a small mud hole and when I came out of it literally everything in my jeep died. My instrument panel is dead and my fuel pump won't turn on the only thing is my radiator fan turns on. It does crank but won't turn over and on top of it I just replaced my Crank Position Sensor and didn't Change anything still dead what would y'all recommend

Hello and welcome to jeepz.com. Thank you for your membership and your post/question. It would be preferred to start a new thread rather than post on an old thread but no harm done . You do have another thread started but I'm replying to this one as it is more informative . I guess that small mud hole was big enough to put a hurt in' on your XJ but it's time to asses the damage. Naturally , you'll want to give it a bath and flush all the mud from it ( easier said than done). The mud will be around for a while on your jeep. In addition to flushing your powertrain and drive train , you'll want to carefully rinse the alternator , power distribution center and starter . You don't want to soak the alternator and starter , just clean it externally . If mud infiltrated the PDC as I believe it would have , you'll want to carefully rinse it and follow it up with electrical spray cleaner or at least wd-40 . Remove every mini , maxi fuse and relay and clean the sockets . Follow that with compressed air if you got it or maybe some canned air that is used to clean computers. You must get the dirt and mud out before diagnosing . Forgot to mention , DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY FIRST ! You may have fried the alternator but that needs to be tested . Check for ANY blown fuses . Especially the ignition fuses . These are what powers the the ignition switch, charging system and starting system . The alternator charge wire feeds the PDC so there may be some electrical work to diagnose . You'll want to inspect all wiring you can . In particular , to and from the PDC and powertrain control module ( PCM). I'm thinking its between the fuses and alternator that's the problem but a full inspection will be needed since the whole jeep,was exposed to water and mud . We don't know yet , but there is the possibility the PCM took a hit . That will have to be determined. I know it's a big clean up job but that will have to be done first before any diagnosing can be done properly. Water grounds electrical fields that are supposed to carry current and that causes shorts . Jeeps aren't truly waterproof but AMC and Chrysler did their best. Let us know what you find when you can . Best of luck driving out the jeep and with the clean up as well . Hope this helps . XJ's don't die on their own , they need help from their owner. I know a little about that.

Hello and welcome to jeepz.com. Thank you for your membership and your post/question. It would be preferred to start a new thread rather than post on an old thread but no harm done . You do have another thread started but I'm replying to this one as it is more informative . I guess that small mud hole was big enough to put a hurt in' on your XJ but it's time to asses the damage. Naturally , you'll want to give it a bath and flush all the mud from it ( easier said than done). The mud will be around for a while on your jeep. In addition to flushing your powertrain and drive train , you'll want to carefully rinse the alternator , power distribution center and starter . You don't want to soak the alternator and starter , just clean it externally . If mud infiltrated the PDC as I believe it would have , you'll want to carefully rinse it and follow it up with electrical spray cleaner or at least wd-40 . Remove every mini , maxi fuse and relay and clean the sockets . Follow that with compressed air if you got it or maybe some canned air that is used to clean computers. You must get the dirt and mud out before diagnosing . Forgot to mention , DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY FIRST ! You may have fried the alternator but that needs to be tested . Check for ANY blown fuses . Especially the ignition fuses . These are what powers the the ignition switch, charging system and starting system . The alternator charge wire feeds the PDC so there may be some electrical work to diagnose . You'll want to inspect all wiring you can . In particular , to and from the PDC and powertrain control module ( PCM). I'm thinking its between the fuses and alternator that's the problem but a full inspection will be needed since the whole jeep,was exposed to water and mud . We don't know yet , but there is the possibility the PCM took a hit . That will have to be determined. I know it's a big clean up job but that will have to be done first before any diagnosing can be done properly. Water grounds electrical fields that are supposed to carry current and that causes shorts . Jeeps aren't truly waterproof but AMC and Chrysler did their best. Let us know what you find when you can . Best of luck driving out the jeep and with the clean up as well . Hope this helps . XJ's don't die on their own , they need help from their owner. I know a little about that.

mybad for posting on his thread this is my first time in a forum so tha being said I apologize. And thank you for the info as it turned out after replacing my crank position sensor I over looked a fuse and now that I replaced the fuse she fires right up. And again thank you and again I apologize for posting on his thread.

I was going to say check for a popped fuse. If the dash is dead, the fuse is by the passenger's feet

Great to hear that you worked out the problem . That is always helpful when real world problems are worked out with real world solutions . More important , that we reply with our results to help anyone who may encounter the same problem . We thank you for that as well as your membership . Never sweat the small stuff like the posting thing , wasn't a crime at all . Lots of folks do the same since it's a related problem like the one foreposted on many threads. Not a problem , never worry. Just always good to start a new thread so your jeep issue is addressed individual . Again , we thank you and wish the best and happy it wasn't more expensive like an alternator or PCM.
P.S. - special thanks to SuperJ for his contribution . He's owned more jeeps than I have so when he posts , I listen .

Back