85 XJ to 86 Ford F250 leaf spring conversion possible?

vfrf2

Anyone ever attemped or completed a conversion from the coil to a leaf spring conversion on an XJ before? I've got a few parts and was thinking it would nice to make an attempt at it...I have a 86 F250 rolling chassis I want to base it on....

Viffer...

edited by: vfrf2, Feb 22, 2003 - 08:05 AM[addsig]

Absolutely NEVER would you want to change a coil spring to a leaf spring. The whole point of offroading is to get traction to the ground, and leaf springs have much less articulation that coil springs. You want the axle to articulate to push the tires into the dirt. If you're running an xj, you should have coils in the front and leafs in the back, and if your talking about using the Ford springs to replace the leaves in the back, that is a different matter. [addsig]

Remember,

Thanks for the input...my reason for doing a leaf spring conversion on the front would be to compensate for the added weight from an LS1 install. If installing an LS1 I'd obviously have to beef up the front suspension...any ideas on using non-stock or aftermarket coil springs? It's raining here today so I've got the XJ in the garage measuring the rear portion of the XJ uni-frame and the F 250 chassis to look at that possible swap. I'll be using this thing to tow a 3500 lb boat as well, instead of just beefing up the front for the heavier motor I figured it's probably a good idea to do the rear while I'm at it to help with towing capacity...
A family friend who owns a machine/welding shop would probably be my main source for the fabrications I'd need...which will probably be an invalulabe resource!

Viffer...

edited by: vfrf2, Feb 22, 2003 - 04:02 PM[addsig]

You would have a cool ride for sure, its been a while since I had an xj but its unibody constructions so I think you're looking at a lot of bolstering plates to weld to plus axle mounts. If you're set on the 350 conversion, I know there are aftermarket coil springs that would get you the ride height you need. My zj has the V8 and I don't know the weight difference between the two V8's but surely an aftermarket lift spring set would work if the spring OD's are close. Also, they make spacers for the coils that would even out the ride. Figure an ARB bumper and a winch probably add 250 lbs or so to front and that should be comparable to the increased weight from the 350 so I know you could work out a combination that would get you where you want to be. Good Luck, and post some pictures as you move along.[addsig]

Thanks for the input...

I realize it's going to be quite a bit of time and...more than likely a pretty big hit monetarily too, but I probably would never undertake such a project if I didn't have a family friend who owned the machine/welding shop with 30 years of experience. Any custom fabricating labor will be free, only thing I'd have to spring for would be any materials.

Viffer...[addsig]

Looks like a leaf spring front end at this point...coils don't seem to fit into my plans as far as doing the kind of off roading I'd be doing anyway. I'm not a rock crawler kind of guy, more like going up steep moutain trails in WV and VA in the George Washington National Forest. Quite honestly, I've shot a few mails to some people who get into rock crawling events and, they've said they make out just as good with leafs as the guys running some coils on the axles. Some one is actually trying to talk me into going with some Volvo portal axles...anyone out there ever use them?? Good comments or bad comments about them? Got a line on some???

Viffer...[addsig]

Jeep put Coil springs on the TJ.
Landrover put Coil springs on the Defender.
Hummer put Coil springs on the original and the H2.
Mercedes put Coil springs on the Gelandewagen.

Gelandewagen? You might ask?

Gelandewagen Link[addsig]

Back