Loose steering in xj

XjShake

I have a 89 xj with severely loose steering... My question is... Is it due to no disconnects? I don't have power steering is that the problem? It feels like its in my steering wheel so I'm at a lose

Not sure about the xj but my zj has power steering gearbox that has a nut on top with an allen bolt in the middle. Loosen the nut then tighten the allen by 1/4 turn and test drive. Repeat process till its tight. Not too tight tho or it will lock up. I have heard of people tightening the allen till tight then back it off 3/8 of a turn.

A lot of places the steering can be loose. Often it is a little here and a little there that adds up.
If your steering wheel isn't pointing straight up, when the tires are straight ahead, this can be a loose trac bar joint.
Worn ball joints and tie rod ends can also add to the problem. Even the universal joint in the steering column above the steering box and the steering box itself.
One good way to hunt down the trouble spots is to have someone turn the steering wheel left and right 2-3 inches and keep at it for awhile. While you crawl around underneath with a flashlight and check every joint.
I replaced the trac bar, drag link, ball joints and steering box on my 88. The biggest difference was the trac bar and the new steering box.
I'm a decent mechanic, but I let the professionals rebuild my steering box for me. Lares corp. makes a pretty good product, I've ordered on line from them in the past.

Do you guys know of anywhere online that sales a complete steering kit? I found a over the knuckle conversion on rustys but its a lil pricey... I would rather buy a winch or bumper... Would it be more cost effect to order the parts seperate or as a kit... I do know one thing though... My steering SUX yes it deserves to be all capital

Also my power steering pump squeals when the fluid level is low but even when its full I still don't have power steering... Is my pump bad like I'm suspecting or is there a problem else were.... I have set the tensioning properly but still poor steering

I am not exactly sure what your problem is, but I was having leaking issues in my '89, the pump didn't sound good and the box felt like it was getting old. Being on a budget, I went to the local pull a part and found a donor XJ with less mileage and a steering system that looked to be in better shape than mine. It took me a while to find something suitable and I guess I got lucky. After less than an hour I had a complete power steering system in my hands, pump, lines, and box. Total out the door was about 60 bucks, can't beat that! A few hours later I had it installed in my XJ, and the steering has never been better. While you are under there you may want to check everything else for play or loose hardware. Hope this helps!

Describe box feeling like its getting oils our getting worn out... I'm sure I still have the same one that came from the factory

Well, let's say my pump was making more than just a squeal, kind of a horrid grinding noise that only got a little quieter when filled with new fluid. That plus all the fluid residue covering most of the lines and the box as well, and a milkshake like coloring of the fluid inside the system made me want to replace everything. You said you need to fill the reservoir from time to time, and it still doesn't have power steering, and the steering feels loose, lots of play in the system?

I would do as mudderchuck recommends and have someone turn your wheel side to side to check for worn tie rod ends, ball joints, check the steering box for play and leaks, lines, pump, everything. When I replaced my parts I noticed some loose hardware on the tie rod, the bolts on the adjusting coupler, tightening that helped me lots! It also made me realize I need to really go over my vehicle for my own safety and the safety of others, I would hate to loose my steering at 70 on the highway!

the steering shaft that goes my steering box has quite so bit a play on it... Bad sTeering box?... if so would a box off a newer xj fit... There is a pretty new xj at the junk yard that has the motor and transmission pulled that I plan on pulling the brake booster off of... Just curious if that would fit mine

I just did a steering box replacement last weekend on my zj. Box was from a Jeeps only junkyard and was $75. If the wheel has play when park with the engine off check the connection of the sttering shaft to the box. Tighten it and if that doesn't work i check the threads on the box where this connection is to see if its slipping. Then if that doesn't work replace the box. I think a newer xj box would work. Check the bolt pattern.

The best thing for you to do is take it to a mechanic and have them look at the jeep to fix the problem and don't forget to tell then what's wrong with it as well but to save some money take it to a tech school to get fix

XjShake said:
the steering shaft that goes my steering box has quite so bit a play on it... Bad sTeering box?... if so would a box off a newer xj fit... There is a pretty new xj at the junk yard that has the motor and transmission pulled that I plan on pulling the brake booster off of... Just curious if that would fit mine

They are not hard to rebuild if you have reading material plus if you go that route you could check out hydro assist they are a nice upgrade

this is my steering column

hydro assist?:???:im not familiar with that... sounds like something to work on pretty soon:shades:... i might just have to keep my original.. i guess ima try to find a good write up

you can rebuild the box for like 20 bucks and just research hydro assist its pretty simple and for the column i would say that the column is bad not the box you should not have any up and down play

Thanks jeepkid... I assumed my box ias loose because atty the beginning you can see me spin the wheel side to side.. With out any resistance... Could be due to the power steering pump...

Ok... I don't drive my jeep very often due to that... ill just pull a column while I'm at the salvage yard...

Yea... I found kit but waSnt sure on a good place to buy just the hydraulic cylinder... I would rather buy a winch or new tires or a new lift... Probably tires and winch here pretty quick

XjShake said:
Yea... I found kit but waSnt sure on a good place to buy just the hydraulic cylinder... I would rather buy a winch or new tires or a new lift... Probably tires and winch here pretty quick

If you do it yourself its like hundred bucks

Back