AW4 trans breakdown diagram

Glamissand1

My 88 XJ has just recently rolled the odometer past 300k. The trans seems to be running its last days, even with external cooler on a high cfm fan and ATF+4. So I look to you guys and gals for an AW4 diagram, and any advice of known issues or problem areas. My mechanical skills are advanced, but as ive never broken down this trans, advice would be greatly appreciated. Even some feed back on your rebuilds, what would you want different, or the perfect build.

Heat kills them fast and they are expensive to overhaul. Im at 510000 kms on mine works not bad but going to sbc when engine or trans blows up.

I will try to find a manual at work i work for a dodge dealer see if there is a schematic i can get ahold of. I had a customer that needed the range sensor and the cost was about 900 bucks dealer list.

ty jester32, that would be great. @jeepkid46 any tools you can list that you know of. This daily driver can only be down for the weekend so all tools and pit falls being know will save me some time.

There is a good 120 pages in the factory service manual. Here is a pic of the basic break down. There is a bunch of special tools for pulling various components out other than that all i can see is dial indicators. Outside mic. Feeler blade. And an assortment of snap ring pliers. Anything else you need let me know.

Attachments

• image-2252995975.jpg
    image-2252995975.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 1,340
Glamissand1 said:
ty jester32, that would be great. @jeepkid46 any tools you can list that you know of. This daily driver can only be down for the weekend so all tools and pit falls being know will save me some time.

I cant remember i would have to look again but i thinknthere is a puller

We both have our problems my small block chevy swap is getting alot closer my cherokee decided it needed to start knocking.

do the cherokees have a knock sensor? may be a helping hand, unless its just run out and tired.

Its pretty tired. 480,000 kms. The last 200,000 is my abuse. I use the skinny pedal to my full advantage i run 33s and wheel with guys that have 40s.

do the cherokees have a knock sensor? may be a helping hand, unless its just run out and tired.

Yes, they do.

Look on my website (listed in signature) and navigate to the RENIX SENSORS DIAGNOSTICS page. Have the diagnostics and "how to's" for all of the RENIX XJ sensors.

The AW4 is pretty indestructable - even with poor maintenance they last a long, long time and are a long term match for the reliable 4.0L. When was the last time the fluid & filter were changed?

The h.o. Is toast. Making way for small block chevy as we speak. The knock sensor will just retard timing under load when it rattles a bit. This was a definate rod knock. The aw4 took a beating i towed my holiday trailer to where i was wheeling most times usually 5-600 kms away. It was just a little 16 ft trailer.

Back