2002 Jeep Liberty blowing a fuse constantly...help please!

mrmatticus

When ever i turn the key to the on position the ignition switch fuse, which is a 40A, blows instantly..i have ran a little trouble shooting that a chiltons book recommended, such as check for continuity and check for a good ground. Tried hooking up a light up probe to it and wiggling wires to find a short and was unsuccessful. looked thru alot of posts for help and couldnt really find anything....any help would be appreciated.

First off, welcome to Jeepz.com.

Do you have any aftermarket stuff like an amp or alarm? If so I'd go over that wiring.

Just a wild guess, but try replacing the fuse and adjusting the tilt steering (either all the way up or down) to see if it's a bare wire in the steering column.

X2, a 40 amp. fuse blowing is a hard short and may cause an electrical fire if not isolated. Another area to check is the wiring to the starter solenoid igintion signal.

Question, does it blow in acc position? If not its going to be between key and engine. Pull off all wire loom, i know it sucks but if this continues more systems will fail due to rampant voltage. Look for a black sot mark or misshapen wires. Corners are a good place to start.

Back