Header?

volaredon

On my 97 XJ the factory header is cracked Surprise, surprise, I know....
the one on my 97 TJ did the same thing like 5 years ago; I pulled it, welded it up and it has been fine since.
Considering the 4.0 comes with a tube header as its exhaust manifold, is there really any difference in an aftermarket one vs an uncracked OE one? Who is better? I don't want to spend $400 on something that I don't notice a significant, positive difference vs stock; I'm gonna be pulling the stocker this weekend; my thoughts are to either weld it up like I did on my TJ or hit the 'yard for a replacement.

how bout 308vs 409 stainless?
I was looking at the Banks and the Pacesetter.... I don't want to have to modify the rest of the exhaust at this time, money is tight.... (not working+trying to get back to school) this is on my wife's daily back n forth to work, beater. (it's actually in quite good shape)

I don't have personal experience here but apparently or so I've been told by a few guys banks cracks alot on the 4.0L but they have a lifetime warranty, take a look at Gibson.

No improvment. I actually put stock back on welded her up. I tried banks and some other one. Never again. Almost felt like i lost low end response two.

Headers make a difference usually when you open up the whole exhaust system, this way it can breath better but like you were saying, your on a budget.

If you drill a 1/8 hole on either side of crack than weld it should be good as new
the holes will prevent further cracking

Headers make a difference usually when you open up the whole exhaust system, this way it can breath better but like you were saying, your on a budget.
yeah I know; but it is totally "factory" at the moment and "factory" equip on these WAS a tubular header not a cast iron "log" manifold.
what I am asking is would an aftermarket header be any improvement vs the OEM one????? If not I'm OK with welding this one up and reinstalling it as I did in the past w/ my TJ when it cracked.

Back