Starting Problem

Cam98Chero

:x So recently I turned my Jeep off on the side of the road to talk to a friend on the phone. But when I was finished I went to go and turn her on and it made the whining sound like it was gonna turn over but never did. I am getting spark but no compression and my starter sounds totally fine to me. Could this be a fuel pump?

Last edited:

:x So recently I turned my Jeep off on the side of the road to talk to a friend on the phone. But when I was finished I went to go and turn her on and it made the whining sound like it was gonna turn over but never did. I am getting spark and compression and my starter sounds totally fine to me. Could this be a fuel pump?

try spraying some fuel in it and see if it will fire

what motor and year is it fuel injected or carb

I've got a 99 Cherokee and had the same problem. It turned out it was the crank shaft position sensor so I had that changed and and no more problem.

Hold on before you make yourself nuts !! your getting a whining sound? is it cranking or whining or clicking ? if it's whining Your starter may not be engaging you may need a starter , If its cranking but don't start try putting it in nutral to start if still nothing put in reverse push jeep back 1 or 2 feet put in park try to start if it starts the CPS is on it's way out, If still don't start CPS is bad went , but if its clicking it's a dead battery , your local auto part store should be able to check your starter if you bring it in to them they can also check your battery
these seem the most logical since you had no issues before you shut it down

Back