starting problem

XjShake

I recently changed my steering column and now my jeep won't start... I tried touching the poles on my starter and all I get is spark... I got the column out of a 88 xj with power Windows and locks and my xj is a 89 manual everything? Does that have any effect?... I'm kinda aggravated because its not easy switching them by yourself

XjShake said:
I recently changed my steering column and now my jeep won't start... I tried touching the poles on my starter and all I get is spark... I got the column out of a 88 xj with power Windows and locks and my xj is a 89 manual everything? Does that have any effect?... I'm kinda aggravated because its not easy switching them by yourself

Did you get it out of an auto or manual

Both are auto.. the only difference in the two is one connection.. I traced my switch up because mine is pretty open and it went to were the blinked and cruise control are... ill take a pic of the two

The one with the white connection is my original one... the black one looks like maybe its for a horn but it comes out in the same place mine does....

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110101_114807.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110101_114807.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 253
  • ForumRunner_20110101_114908.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110101_114908.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 239

Best to look at a wiring diagram for that jeep to see what you're dealing with. Ref the white plug, are there any tracers on the 4 wires or are they solid color?

I fixed it... just can't get the blinkers to work... my hazards flasher works so I switched it with the blinkers flasher but nothing happened... I guess ima just wait til its above 30 to figure it out

XjShake said:
I fixed it... just can't get the blinkers to work... my hazards flasher works so I switched it with the blinkers flasher but nothing happened... I guess ima just wait til its above 30 to figure it out

Switch your old blinker with the new one

my blinkers havent ever worked... my old switch wouldnt even click... and myu entire steering column was loose so i just replaced it now i dont have blinkers but that thing sure is nice with a good steering column

XjShake said:
my blinkers havent ever worked... my old switch wouldnt even click... and myu entire steering column was loose so i just replaced it now i dont have blinkers but that thing sure is nice with a good steering column

Thought it might check fuses or your flasher might be going bad

I've checked both... I might go get a switch at the parts store and wire it up and see what happens... if it works ill put it in

XjShake said:
I've checked both... I might go get a switch at the parts store and wire it up and see what happens... if it works ill put it in

That says jeep all over it lol iv never had this problem

I assumed it was good is there a way to just check the switch

XjShake said:
I assumed it was good is there a way to just check the switch

Not sure i would have to look at one maybe a continuity tester or ohms and work the switch im nit sure on the switch

Back