2002 Grd Cher 4.7 Code P1793

napa604

I am having a frustrating problem with my Jeep and constant stalling when coming to a stop. I replaced the IAC and MAP sensor and still having the problem. Finally was able to get a code to come up. P 1793 Transmission Control Module Stack Overrun. I am at a loss. Does anyone have an idea what this refers too? I have searched the net and not able to find any notes on what the solution to the code would be. Thanks for any input.

It's been over a week now and my Jeep is still down. I contacted Chrysler/Jeep directly and they are saying there is an issue with the transmission filter. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? The dealer I am working with has no clue, has never had this code. I'm wondering if replacing the trans filter will help.

I've never experienced it but here's some info anyway.

P1793-TRD LINK COMMUNICATION ERROR​
When Monitored: During torque managed shifts with Throttle angle above 54 degrees.
This system is also tested whenever the vehicle is stopped and the engine speed is below
1000 RPM.
Set Condition: This code is set when the Transmission Control Module sends two
subsequent Torque Reduction messages (pulses the TRD ckt to ground) to the Powertrain
Control Module via the TRD link circuit and the TCM does not receive a confirmation from​
the PCM over the communication bus.
Possible causes:
RELATED DTC’S PRESENT
INTERMITTENT WIRING & CONNECTORS
TORQUE MANAGEMENT REQUEST SENSE CIRCUIT OPEN
TORQUE MANAGEMENT REQUEST SENSE CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
TORQUE MANAGEMENT REQUEST SENSE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
PCM - TRD LINK COMMUNICATION ERROR​
TCM - TRD LINK COMMUNICATION ERROR

So, here we are just a little over a month since I first explained the problem I was having with my Grand Cherokee Overland. It has been quite a rocky road. First off, if you are changing the trans filter do not use an after market. Save yourself a lot of grief and get a Chrysler product. This Trans filter also has a spin on filter and the aftermarket ones (ATP) does not fit exact. It just falls off after you think you have securely got it in there. First thought that was the problem but no. I ended up having to replace the transmission. I got a Jasper trans and with the paperwork they site the improvements made. Yup, it addresses the pressure levels and communication error. Cost me some money but I am so happy to have my Jeep back and running well. Good luck if you encounter the same thing.

I've never experienced it but here's some info anyway.

P1793-TRD LINK COMMUNICATION ERROR​
When Monitored: During torque managed shifts with Throttle angle above 54 degrees.
This system is also tested whenever the vehicle is stopped and the engine speed is below
1000 RPM.
Set Condition: This code is set when the Transmission Control Module sends two
subsequent Torque Reduction messages (pulses the TRD ckt to ground) to the Powertrain
Control Module via the TRD link circuit and the TCM does not receive a confirmation from​
the PCM over the communication bus.
Possible causes:
RELATED DTC’S PRESENT
INTERMITTENT WIRING & CONNECTORS
TORQUE MANAGEMENT REQUEST SENSE CIRCUIT OPEN
TORQUE MANAGEMENT REQUEST SENSE CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
TORQUE MANAGEMENT REQUEST SENSE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
PCM - TRD LINK COMMUNICATION ERROR​
TCM - TRD LINK COMMUNICATION ERROR

i have the same code, all data says to back probe pin #10 on the tcm. i should have 10.5 volts and 7 ohms. i have 10.7 volts ( key in the run position) and 7 ohms. should i ck for bad wires or shop for a tcm ? your thoughts ...

thanks brian

Last edited:
The voltage difference is not enough to to make a big difference and since the resistance value stayed the same I would have to call that good however it wouldn't hurt to check the connections for loose pins or corrosion on the power and ground circuits. If you look at the other members issue , he stated that the filter is what caused his failure on the trans. This DTC can go either electrical or hydraulic and is very difficult to isolate without any other DTC'S to support it.

I have seen that error come up when speed sensors go bad, there are 2 and when one goes bad the correct signal is not received by the other. Have you tried checking those or replacing those?

I have seen that error come up when speed sensors go bad, there are 2 and when one goes bad the correct signal is not received by the other. Have you tried checking those or replacing those?

Your talking about the input and output speed sensors. If and when one of those sensors fails, you will have a correlation type DTC'S . This would typically be associated with that loss of speedo gauge.

The voltage difference is not enough to to make a big difference and since the resistance value stayed the same I would have to call that good however it wouldn't hurt to check the connections for loose pins or corrosion on the power and ground circuits. If you look at the other members issue , he stated that the filter is what caused his failure on the trans. This DTC can go either electrical or hydraulic and is very difficult to isolate without any other DTC'S to support it.

great, thanks. a po320 was the first code for the crank sensor, the second code was a po218 high temp ( i assume it means trans ) the 3rd was po225 engine speed sensor ( i assume the front trans input sensor ) and the 3rd was the po1793. i replaced the crank sensor again. when it was bad before, i had 4 or 5 trans code then as well. it backing to driving great. and the wire look good. i had the connectors apart. i did replace the filter, when i did the trans pan gasket. i'll drive it and see what happenes. thanks again.

Last edited:

when i had a crank code ,and trans codes last time it did replace them.

i replaced the crank sensor, an it runs great. cheap fix. lucky me.

Back