06 Jeep Commander aftermarket radio install.....help!

Commando

I recently bought a 2006 Jeep commander and tried to install an after market CD player. I found out that this truck doesn't have a remote wire so I had to buy a more expensive wire harness that adds one. After hooking up my indash I realized that it has no sound coming out. Its supposed to be plug and play, and its hooked up correctly but still no sound. After examining both sides of the wire harness i noticed the Jeep wire harness has like 8 wires and the wire harness i bought has like 10-12. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

If the issue is just sound and IS getting power, i would suggest that you make sure the aftermarket wiring matches up with the factory outputs. Be very careful not to tie in a 12v power on the dark gray 22way connector, white and white/orange leads. These are communication lines for the CAN bus system.
81f2c024-1.gif
RADIO C1 - DK. GRAY 22 WAY

CAVCIRCUITFUNCTION1A118 16RD/ORFUSED B(+) (I.O.D.)2--3--4X703 20DG/OR (HANDS FREE)LEFT AUDIO OUTPUT5D55 20WT/ORCAN B BUS (+)6D54 20WTCAN B BUS (-)7X208 18GY/DG (BASE)RIGHT I/P SPEAKER (+)8X298 18GY/LG (BASE)RIGHT I/P SPEAKER (-)9X299 18GY/YL (BASE)LEFT I/P SPEAKER (-)10X209 18GY/OR (BASE)LEFT I/P SPEAKER (+)11Z920 16BKGROUND12A118 16RD/ORFUSED B(+) (I.O.D.)13--14--15--16X704 20DG/YL (HANDS FREE)RIGHT AUDIO OUTPUT17X795 20DG (HANDS FREE)COMMON AUDIO OUTPUT18X51 18DG/DBLEFT REAR AUDIO (+)19X57 18DG/VTLEFT REAR AUDIO (-)20X58 18GY/TNRIGHT REAR AUDIO (-)21X52 18GY/DBRIGHT REAR AUDIO (+)22Z920 16BKGROUND
81f2c026-1.gif
RADIO C2 (DVD/SATELLITE RADIO) - BLACK 10 WAY

CAVCIRCUITFUNCTION1X16 20DG/YL (SATELLITE RADIO)AUDIO SIGNAL RIGHT (+)2X917 20DG (SATELLITE RADIO)AUDIO SIGNAL COMMON3--4X510 20DG/LB (DVD)DVD AUDIO RIGHT (+)5X926 20GY/OR (DVD)AUX AUDIO COMMON6X17 20DG/LB (SATELLITE RADIO)AUDIO SIGNAL LEFT (+)7X910 20GY/DG (DVD)AUX AUDIO RETURN/COMMON8X511 20GY/LG (DVD)DVD AUDIO LEFT (+)9X521 20GY/LB (DVD)AUX AUDIO LEFT (+)10X522 20GY/DB (DVD)AUX AUDIO RIGHT (+)
81f2bb19-1.gif

Why are there only 8 wires? If there is only 6 speakers, that would take 12 wires(2 for each speaker) + power and ground. That's 14 wires and the factory stereo harness only has 8? By the way the stock CD player has no issues, it plays sound fine.

If you want to know if your Commander has an amplifier, remove the left kick panel and the amp. should be bolted up in that area.

Why are there only 8 wires? If there is only 6 speakers, that would take 12 wires(2 for each speaker) + power and ground. That's 14 wires and the factory stereo harness only has 8? By the way the stock CD player has no issues, it plays sound fine.

Maybe the front/rear speaker sets share a common ground. If the new wiring harness between the radio and the old wiring harness is hooked up correctly, and you are not installing an aftermarket amp, you should be able to use the factory amp. Does your adapter plug "plug" into the radio or do you have to "wire" the radio to the new plug adapter. If you have to "wire" the radio to the new plug adapter, I would look there for something not connected correctly.
Good luck

I have an 06 limited w/ the 4.7 installed a kenwood 6160 nav unit and have no sound but power to everything. Is there a factory amp that i have to bypass, and if so whre is it. I ordered the harness metra xsvi 6502
but no dice. If anyone knows anything about this i would love to hear if not i'll keep on tryn. Thanks

The correct harness to use is the CHT-013bb, its kind of pricey but you will definitely have sound with it. It bypasses the factory amp(located under drink holder in the third row) and also works with the canbus system so everything functions perfectly. I bought mine at best buy for $109.99, and I currently have a aftermarket dash in my 06 commander that works perfectly. This is the correct method, trust me, i went through a lot of trouble before I figured out the problem was the harness not being correct.

The correct harness to use is the CHT-013bb, its kind of pricey but you will definitely have sound with it. It bypasses the factory amp(located under drink holder in the third row) and also works with the canbus system so everything functions perfectly. I bought mine at best buy for $109.99, and I currently have a aftermarket dash in my 06 commander that works perfectly. This is the correct method, trust me, i went through a lot of trouble before I figured out the problem was the harness not being correct.
I know this post is old but I need help. The factory stereo's screen has burned out but the sound still works, Id like to install an aftermarket stereo is there anyway you could post what you did step by step and what materials I should order ahead of time. Thanks for any help I can get!

Back